Is Kanaplex and Furanol safe with snails?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

helptoall

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi , is it safe to use thoe meds in a tank with snail and shrimps? thank you

Why do you want to use anti-biotics on snails and shrimp?

If you have fish with a bacterial infection then it would be best to move the shrimp and snails into their own tank during treatment. I haven't used anti-biotics on shrimp or snails because they don't normally get bacterial infections.

Im asking for a friend and he has several sick fish in this tank

About all I can suggest is to put a shrimp and snail into a spare container and add some anti-biotics to the container with them. If they don't die then treat the tank. If they do die then remove all the shrimp and snails before treating the tank.

No.. i wont do those experiment on them, they are living creatures..

I will assume your friend knows what he is treating? I have used furanizole and kanaplex with snails in the tank but not shrimp. The furan was said to be harmful to snails, and I did think the population seemed much fewer after the treatment, so I would be careful. But it depends upon the problem and the best treatment, for the fish, even if snails/shrimp have to be removed.

Bacterial issues like columnaris and a few closely related issues are most effectively treated by a combination of furanizole and kannaplex. The furanizole is what actually attacks thee columnaris, while the kannaplex gets the furanizole inside the fish better than without. But furanizole will discolour the water, not in itself a problem, but I did notice a significant affect (negative) on plants; the swords withstood it, but less robust plants melted.

Most reactions

Back