Is it ready?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Meemaw

Reaction score
set up my new 60 gallon tank. I added SeaChem prime and bacteria supplement.My current readings
Ph 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Water temp 77.9 F

My up and running tank with fish ( will bemoving these to the new tank) current readings
Ph 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Water temp 78 F

Is it ready to start moving fish over?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you move all your current filter media from the old tank's filter to the new one, you can move the fish at the same time.

Otherwise, there's no way of telling if the bacterial supplement has worked without adding some ammonia and seeing if it's gone twelve hours later.

If you have a new filter for the new tank and youre not using the old tank, place both filters in the new tank running for at least 6 weeks. Once that is done you can move the old filter back to the old tank and immediately add new fish if you want to keep the old tank

In my experience, the cheaper bacteria supplements do not work well converting ammonia to nitrite but are good at converting nitrite to nitrate. However i cannot say the same for expensive brands as have not tried it

Once the bacteria supplement has been added, you need to add ammonia for them, otherwise you wont be able to test anything; if theres no ammonia for them to eat, they cant convert it to nitrite and in turn to nitrate so theres nothing to test for :/

If you have a new filter for the new tank and youre not using the old tank, place both filters in the new tank running for at least 6 weeks. Once that is done you can move the old filter back to the old tank and immediately add new fish if you want to keep the old tank

While I agree 100% with the rest of your post, I feel I have point out at that there are few little issues with this method.

The bacteria do cling onto the media quite strongly, there are very few loose in the water column (which is why it can take such a long time for a fishless cycle to get going) and so it can be difficult to get a new colony to start in the new filter without seeding it with some of the mature media.

Because of that, when you take the old filter back out, you can leave the new tank short of bacteria, especially if you've added more stock.

If you add the old media to the new filter, you can gradually take out the old media and replace it with new, and still have the bacteria for the old, or another, tank :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back