Is it ok to feed my fish a small grasshopper?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Zagggon

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I live in texas and just caught a little grasshopper, was wondering if it would be ok to feed him to Hubert and Frank my two angel fish? :thumbs:

The grasshopper itself would probably be a good meal for an angelfish... but you might inadvertantly add bad bacteria to your tank... commercial fish food has been carefully handled and inspected.

and what if the grasshopper had been previously hopping in grass that contains pesticides?

I'd stay away from feeding him to the fish... too many unknowns.

Oh trust me, they have big enough mouths.^_^ Ok well i cannot contain myself, im going to feed Frank the grasshopper and maybe Hubert will join in on the kill, will be back with the results in a minute.

i think thet moths are good. i feed them to my fish at the start of winter when there are tons of them, my betta loves them the most. i hold them above the tank and she jumps up and grabs them

:p Yep My betta LOVES bugs. I had to stop feeding him them tho cuz thats all he would eat for like 1 week :p Hes back on a pellet/Occasional worm/Bug diet :D

The main concerns when feeding bugs to your fish are

1) pesticides from outside
2)they'll choke
3)irritants from the bugs. ie.-centipedes may produce nasty venoms and toxins.
-hairy bugs also produce irritants.

The irritants are the bugs natural defense from being eaten by things like fish. A stomach ache is probably the worst a fish will feel though.
But, things like worms, ants, june bugs are great, nutritious and free.
I say experiment with what they'll eat and what they won't eat. If they don't like it they'll spit it out, if they do, they'll eat it. Use you own discresion.

Most reactions

Back