Is A 120 Gallon Tank Too Heavy For A 3rd Floor - Tank's Full Weigh

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

v12_lj

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm moving to a 3rd floor in an appartment building and was planning to get a 120 gallon tank for my fish. The problem is I don't know if this will be TOO heavy for that floor.

Does anyone know what size fish tank is suggested for a 3rd floor?

I have a 75 gallon tank right know but i'd need to go bigger. My fish is about 15 inches long (Iridescent shark ). The frame of this tank sort of broke so I need a new tank any way. I'm planning to get maybe 2 small Oscars if I get a bigger tank.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I need to make a desision soon.

Thanks in advance,

Luis

These are two recent threads you must read. Both of them commented on by Fillet 'O' Fish (a member who's also a structural engineer!).

Tank Weight, Need Help

7 Footer

However in essence this is one of the best articles I've found.

And do be aware of what is said below.

Quoted from that article:

And now for the most commonly perpetuated myth of all. Someone in the forum asks if they think it is possible to place a 120 gallon tank on the second floor of their apartment. The answers inevitably go something like this: "I see no reason you can't. I've had a 125 gallon aquarium in my bedroom for years."

Myth #17: "If my floor didn't collapse with a ??? gallon aquarium, then your floor should be okay too"

Since the person posting the question provides no information at all about the composition of the floor construction, the span of the floor framing or the relative position of the tank, there is just no way for anyone to provide a logical answer. Yet answers flow from people perfectly willing to compare apples to oranges to watermellons to come up with a recomendation. (And in this example the comparison is even a worse because the 125 gallon tank is 6 ft long and the 120 gallon tank is only 4 ft long.)

If you know why the answer given in myth #17 is so illogical, then you understand why I decided to sit down and write this all out.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back