Is A 10 Day Cycle Possible

Tonyb111111

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all, I posted this on the tropical discussion forum but I am not getting much feedback, so thought it might be better in here. If I'm wrong to move it, please let me know. The link is below with the details of what happened, I just want to know if a 10 day cycle is possible as all the parameters pointed to this. Would really appreciate any theories/explanations
Is this a 10 day cycle

yes a 10 day cycle is possible. So is a 1 day or instant cycle if you know what you are doing. IMO the plants did it for you. I run many densely plant tanks and some are well stock and run filterless as the plants are more then hungry enough to deal with water quality. You can also clone or seed a tank by using a donor tank that is mature and already cycled. You just take some mature media from it pop it into the new tank and it can instantly support a proportional bioload. IMO you only need to really cycle once. After that it is easy enough to plant or just clone other tanks and slowly build up the stock.

Sorry tony, a 10 days or shorter cycle is not possible ever. On the other hand it is possible to have plants that can handle all of the nitrogen that your fish produce from day 1. That is not truly a cycle but is another way to deal with the nitrogen in your tank. It relies completely on your plants continuing to provide all needed nitrogen removal. If you have any stumble in your plant growth, that will quickly show up as an uncycled tank for you. It is the chance you take if you decide to stock your tank based on either a "silent cycle" or a similarly shortened time to a zero ammonia and nitrite status.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your feedback. The setup has been running 4 months now and I have had not had any issues with the results, guess I have been fairly lucky but will know better for my next tank. However, I did a major rescape yesterday and this did involve the removal of a very large Hygrophilia and some smaller plants, so I am keeping a careful eye on the stats. It should be ok as I am double filtered, but may get a brief ammonia spike. I will let you know the outcome

It's certainly possible, but I wouldn't rely on it. The best way to speed up a cycle is to add water or filter pads from an established system into a new system. If you can get the denitrification bacteria in the tank before you add a bunch of fish into it, it has a much better chance of supporting the bioload.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back