The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Casper23

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My name is Cassi, I am a stay at home mom and I am fairly new to this hobby, having only started this a few months ago. I did do LOTS of research before diving into this hobby and Iā€™m still learning which I love! I have a current set up of a 29 gallon Topfin tank. HOB filter and adjustable heater. with one Halfmoon male Betta. My daughter named him Dory. (Original I knowšŸ™„šŸ¤£) I have two nerite snails named Gary and Marty. I have two ghost shrimp named roselia and pikachu. Lastly I have 5 peppered cory catfish named, Khan, whiskers, pebble, Grogu, and Tom? Lol again my 4 year old daughter named everyone. The tank is heavily planted with various plants, we have some drift wood pieces and a lava rock as well as LOTS of tunnel type decor. We are working with a mixture of two different types of sand substrate. (The first type of sand came from Doryā€™s original tank that we had with just him) I wanted to try and maintain as much beneficial bacteria as possible so when we got the larger tank I added it to the new sand we had. I am currently trying to get my filtering as low maintenance as possible, obviously we started out with the HOB filter that came with the tank and I just want to move away from the disposal cartridges as quickly as possible. So I have added a sponge to the inner filter as well as ceramic bio rings and some filter floss pads. Once Iā€™ve had those in for a few weeks longer I will remove the disposable cartridge. (What a waste of money, and so horrible for the tank cycle) I also added a sponge to the intake of the filter as to add as much beneficial bacteria to my tank as possible. We recently added a very gentle airstone to the opposite side of the tank from the filter. I am using a battery operated air pump so that when/if we lose power, it can continue working. I am hoping to add some more life to my tank soon, I just want to make sure everyone is super settled in their home. (I added the shrimp, a couple weeks ago). My male betta seems to be absolutely THRIVING when we got him he was fairly pale and honestly sad looking. Now heā€™s super vibrant and full of life, he just absolutely loves interacting with us and I honestly think that he believes he is also a Cory. His behavior with them is hilarious to watch. When itā€™s feeding time he just races to the bottom and waits patiently for food like my Coryā€™s do. He follows them around and watches them, and they do the same with him. Itā€™s very cute. He is super mellow and sweet, I think he started acting and looking better once we added some mates to his tank. Since we have had him weā€™ve tried several different types of food. He completely ignores his betta pellets and doesnā€™t like freeze dried anything. He will nibble at frozen blood worms but he absolutely loves the frozen brine shrimp. Sometimes I catch him nibbling at the catfish pellets or algae wafers. My Coryā€™s gobble up frozen blood worms like crazy though. I feed them those about once a week and they love it! As for water treatment. I have been using the AFI brand aqua essential, for each water change, I also add quick start every other water change. Every time I change the water or add new buddies I always add stress coat. And Iā€™m using the AFI master fresh water testing kit to keep on top of my water parameters. This has definitely turned into a passion for me and my family. I just absolutely love watching and caring for all my aquatic friends. If anyone has any better recommendations for food options, water treatment, or anything else. Please let me know. I am open to any and all suggestions! Thanks for allowing me to be apart of your fishy family!

(I will add pictures of my set up later when Iā€™m able to take some photos, I just did a water change and a vacuum so things are looking a little cloudy at the moment)

Attachments

• IMG_1895.jpeg
    IMG_1895.jpeg
    395.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1896.jpeg
    IMG_1896.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Welcome. Those are pretty colors on the betta. Iā€™m sure heā€™s enjoying all that space. Isnā€™t it interesting how different their personalities can be?

Welcome. Those are pretty colors on the betta. Iā€™m sure heā€™s enjoying all that space. Isnā€™t it interesting how different their personalities can be?
Absolutely! I had a very lone wolf type betta years ago, this little guys loves being with his mates and is very sweet and affectionate! They are all so different, but thatā€™s why I love them!

Hi and welcome to TFF... :hi:
Nice names you gave them...

Hi and welcome to TFF... :hi:
Nice names you gave them...
Thanks so much! Name credit goes entirely to my daughter, she absolutely HAD to make sure everyone had a proper name! She can even tell the difference between them all. Itā€™s really sweet!

Nothing at all wrong with naming fish. :) My rope fish is Clyde. ;) Actually I have two Clyde's as one of my teddy bears is also Clyde. Yes, I have teddy bears; three in fact. Also two ground hogs and an eeyore.

Nothing at all wrong with naming fish. :) My rope fish is Clyde. ;) Actually I have two Clyde's as one of my teddy bears is also Clyde. Yes, I have teddy bears; three in fact. Also two ground hogs and an eeyore.
Also nothing wrong with having comfort items either! šŸ˜

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back