Introduction/fish Help & Tank Pictures (260L)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sophie

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey there!
I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and introduce myself and my tank here.

My names Sophie, I'm 21 and just recently got into the fish keeping malarkey.
I have a 260L Juwel Vision tank, which I have had running now for about 7 months.
I also have a 94L Interpet River Reef I use as a treatment tank running alongside.

It's my first proper tank so criticism is always appreciated as I'm still learning.

I have a Fluval 406 external connected underneath and I use RO water which I then re-add all the good bits after.

I was going to have a go at keeping Discus first time off the bat but made an unfortunate mistake of using Dorset Pea Gravel; needless to say after countless tests on wondering why my pH was constantly buffered to around 7.4 and wasn't going down when using buffers, I made the decision not to turf everything out and choose something different. I also have JBL AquaBasis Plus soil for my plants.

Fish:
6 x Angelfish
3 x Corydoras Sterbai (TBC)
2 x Featherfin Syndontis
3 x Clown Loach
1 x Rainbow Shark
1 x Gibbiceps (TBC)
1 x Bristlenose Plec
5 x Bamboo Shrimp

Any opinions on mixing these will also be appreciated.
Please, questions!

The fish with (TBC) at the end were 'Adoptions' so they haven't 100% been confirmed as to their genus.
I've got some pictures (to follow) of the Corydoras if you guys wouldn't mind confirming and the Gibbiceps, well when I get a chance to get a shot, I will.

The tank layout isn't how I want it quite yet, 7 months on I still can't make my mind up. Things get shuffled around a bit each time I do a water change.

8a438fd8-7d78-4a51-acf3-d17cb46905fe.jpg

This is the Corydoras that needs identifying!

And this is my tank;

b3bec57a-8869-4e7f-8dda-94709f535a3f.jpg

Questions:
  • What shoaling fish would I be able to add in with my Angels? I wanted something like Cardinals but the only problem is, Angel's can have a tendency to eat them when fully grown?
  • My Rainbow Shark is always out and about, is it normal for them to be so confident?
  • Can you see any conflict between the species I keep? The only 'upset' I've witnessed was the Featherfin's kicked my Bristlenose out of his favourite spot so he had to find another, but once he moved, they stopped pushing him about.

Thanks for taking the time to read this guys
smile.png

hi sophie welcome to the forums

your tank looks great. u are right the corys are sterbia

your stocking looks good but the corys need to be in groups of 6+ so do the clown loach as for shoaling fish what about rummynose tetra or cherry barb

hope that helps jack
smile.png

blackops said:
hi sophie welcome to the forums

your tank looks great. u are right the corys are sterbia

your stocking looks good but the corys need to be in groups of 6+ so do the clown loach as for shoaling fish what about rummynose tetra or cherry barb

hope that helps jack
smile.png

Thanks! :) I actually read an article in PFK about the Clown Loaches, just yesterday. I might go pick some more up shortly! The Corydoras though, I have to find a place that sells them. They were adoptee's I got given from a tank breakdown. I will keep an eye out!

If you get a faster moving school of fish like the rummynose tetra blackops suggested your angels wont have intrest in them. You could do cardinals but if you dont feed the angels for a day or two and if they get hungry they'll go for them as food. I seconds blackops idea for cherry barbs. Theyre a bright red and arent super fast but they're big enough to keep the angels away. That cory is a sterbai cory like you said. Btw awesome looking tank i wish my tanks ooked like that.

NorthEastFisherman said:
If you get a faster moving school of fish like the rummynose tetra blackops suggested your angels wont have intrest in them. You could do cardinals but if you dont feed the angels for a day or two and if they get hungry they'll go for them as food. I seconds blackops idea for cherry barbs. Theyre a bright red and arent super fast but they're big enough to keep the angels away. That cory is a sterbai cory like you said. Btw awesome looking tank i wish my tanks ooked like that.

Is there anything in particular I should know about Cherry Barbs? I know they are peaceful community fish unlike most barbs but what about sexing? I remember reading somewhere about having a ratio similar to live-bearers as males will harass females so a group of 6+ is preferred? I'm not a fan of Rummynose
tongue2.gif
Remind me of a sore nose!

EDIT: Just googled, males are bright red, females are orange, check! :p

Hi Sophie, welcome to the forum! 
welcomeani.gif

I'm really jealous of your tank, it's loads bigger than mine however unfortunately it's still overstocked.

The angelfish should be okay considering their current size however these are going to grow and will become aggressive to others.
Corys generally want to be in groups of 4 or more.
Featherfin Syndontis can grow up to 8 inches.
Clown loach want to be in groups of 5 or more and although they grow slowly, they can grow up to 8 inches, needing a tank that's something like 550 litres.
Your Rainbow Shark could grow up to 6 inches and will be active due to its aggressive nature.

So unless you have arrangements to re-home your fish when they eventually get too big then I advise getting any more stock :lol:

I know everything seems fine at the minute at it doesn't look overstocked, that's what you're facing!

For a first timer that looks a really nice tank! My first effort was nowhere near that! Not sure i can offer much more advice re fish than has been added, although rummy nosed tetras would look nice.

Also, what is that plant in the middle? Looks nice!

Joshwainwright said:
Hi Sophie, welcome to the forum! 
welcomeani.gif

I'm really jealous of your tank, it's loads bigger than mine however unfortunately it's still overstocked.

The angelfish should be okay considering their current size however these are going to grow and will become aggressive to others.
Corys generally want to be in groups of 4 or more.
Featherfin Syndontis can grow up to 8 inches.
Clown loach want to be in groups of 5 or more and although they grow slowly, they can grow up to 8 inches, needing a tank that's something like 550 litres.
Your Rainbow Shark could grow up to 6 inches and will be active due to its aggressive nature.

So unless you have arrangements to re-home your fish when they eventually get too big then I advise getting any more stock
laugh.png

I know everything seems fine at the minute at it doesn't look overstocked, that's what you're facing!

Yeah I know how big they're going to get :p
In the near future I have my eyes set on a 450L+ in which the larger will be split. I would certainly of not purchased otherwise, don't worry! :)
Thanks though. I work in Pets at Home so I get stocking limits drilled into my head everyday with fish when it comes to advising other customers on sizes.

Sophie1992 said:
Yeah I know how big they're going to get
tongue2.gif

In the near future I have my eyes set on a 450L+ in which the larger will be split. I would certainly of not purchased otherwise, don't worry!
smile.png

Thanks though. I work in Pets at Home so I get stocking limits drilled into my head everyday with fish when it comes to advising other customers on sizes.

Oh, great! Glad you've thought about it :)

I'd advise you to get a couple more corys and keep an eye on the sharks aggression then 
good.gif

Lunar Jetman said:
For a first timer that looks a really nice tank! My first effort was nowhere near that! Not sure i can offer much more advice re fish than has been added, although rummy nosed tetras would look nice.

It is Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis 53B'. Got all the Tropica plant labels still, saved just for occasions like these :p

Joshwainwright said:
Yeah I know how big they're going to get
tongue2.gif

In the near future I have my eyes set on a 450L+ in which the larger will be split. I would certainly of not purchased otherwise, don't worry!
smile.png

Oh, great! Glad you've thought about it
smile.png

I'd advise you to get a couple more corys and keep an eye on the sharks aggression then 
good.gif

Thanks :) Aggression as in chasing everything else I presume? He's been a little star so far so fingers crossed!

blackops said:
you could get 12 4 males and 8 female

Sounds good. Have to go pick some nice ones at work. 20% discount is yummy when it comes to fish buying! :p

Sophie1992 said:

It is Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis 53B'. Got all the Tropica plant labels still, saved just for occasions like these :p
Thanks. I think I'll see if I can get hold of some of that. I quite like the look of it

when the angels get to the age they will pair off and (they think the whole tank is theirs) will attack each other, most times to the death.. just a heads up so one day your not like MY BABIES STOP!!! 

i find IMO that each angel should have 25-30 gallons  (94-113 liters) minim because of the size that they will get when fully grown. 

BerryAttack said:
when the angels get to the age they will pair off and (they think the whole tank is theirs) will attack each other, most times to the death.. just a heads up so one day your not like MY BABIES STOP!!! 

i find IMO that each angel should have 25-30 gallons  (94-113 liters) minim because of the size that they will get when fully grown. 

How long does it take to get to adult/mating size roughly? As I said above, I will be upgrading to a 460L+ soon. Bigger if I can find. If not, they'll get re-homed or I'll just have to buy more tanks aha!

do u know what u what you want the final stocking to be

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back