Intro

bobs204

Reaction score
Hi, Iā€™m semi new to the hobby. Used to have gold fish when I was younger. My son wanted a fish, so I started him off with a betta. Sheā€™s still around after 2-3 months and thriving well. His grandmother gave him a 30gallon tank this past week, and Iā€™ve been busy setting it up for fish. I personally like a barb or tetra, something easy to maintain and that can school in the tank nicely. Looking forward to hearing recommendations, tips, and guidance into the hobby.

Welcome.

I have some experience in keeping Tetras
Tetras are a popular choice. Any idea which species?

As an FYI Tetras are a schooling/shoaling fish and should be kept in groups of 10 or more.

Any idea what your tap water parameters are?

PH
GH
KH

Most Tetras and the couple different species I keep are soft water fish.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, discus, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

Welcome.

I have some experience in keeping Tetras
Tetras are a popular choice. Any idea which species?

As an FYI Tetras are a schooling/shoaling fish and should be kept in groups of 10 or more.

Any idea what your tap water parameters are?

PH
GH
KH

Most Tetras and the couple different species I keep are soft water fish.
Iā€™m still cycling my tank, will test my water in the next day or two. I know ph, but what is gh and kh? Iā€™m leaning towards gold barbs and maybe skirt tetras. Wondering what optimal water temp would be best? Right now itā€™s at 74f

GH is hardness, KH is carbonate hardness.

Fish have evolved in water with a certain hardness and they can suffer if kept in water with a different hardness. GH is a measure of calcium and magnesium in the water. Soft water has very little and if we keep soft water fish in hard water they get deposits in their kidneys and don't live as long as they should. Hardwater has a lot of these minerals and hard water fish kept in soft water suffer mineral depletion. While it is possible to alter tank water hardness, it is much easier to keep fish which come from water with similar hardness to our tap water.

Both the fish you name are soft water fish.

Well, welcome aboard... :hi:
I won't add more to your questions for others have already given you pointers to get things going...

I love the name! Bettas need at least 3.5 gallons though, but 5-10 gallons is much better, with a heater and filter. Bettas also love natural substrate and live plants. But that's what fish forum are for, to learn!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back