Interpet Fungus And Finrot Medication Poisoning?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ralphdeefbone

Reaction score
I have a worrying problem, i dosed my tank this morning with Interpet's Fungus and Finrot medication, for a Red Wag Platy thats developed a couple of small fungal spots. The dosing was definately spot on, as ive double checked several times. Within 4 to 5 mins of dosing the tank, all of my fish were acting really wierd. I have 10 Platys, 8 clown loaches and an 8inch common Plec. All were acting listless, hardly moving and kind of just 'falling' to the bottom of the tank. All their breathing seems ok, just as if they were all drunk or something. I got pretty worried after an hour and did a 40% water change, after 5 hrs i,ve put the carbon back in as theres no change in behaviour, infact im really concerned about the Plec, he looks really out of it, lying upside down on his back and not moved in hours.
Any ideas what has happened ? DEFINATELY DID NOT OVERDOSE ? Any help greatly appreciated, i dont want them all to die :-(

I have a worrying problem, i dosed my tank this morning with Interpet's Fungus and Finrot medication, for a Red Wag Platy thats developed a couple of small fungal spots. The dosing was definately spot on, as ive double checked several times. Within 4 to 5 mins of dosing the tank, all of my fish were acting really wierd. I have 10 Platys, 8 clown loaches and an 8inch common Plec. All were acting listless, hardly moving and kind of just 'falling' to the bottom of the tank. All their breathing seems ok, just as if they were all drunk or something. I got pretty worried after an hour and did a 40% water change, after 5 hrs i,ve put the carbon back in as theres no change in behaviour, infact im really concerned about the Plec, he looks really out of it, lying upside down on his back and not moved in hours.
Any ideas what has happened ? DEFINATELY DID NOT OVERDOSE ? Any help greatly appreciated, i dont want them all to die :-(
What are your water parameters(ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,pH)?
Tank temp?
Tank Size?

Keith.

No other meds in tank, haven't needed any for many months. Amonia and Nitrite are zero, ph is 7.4, tank temp is 25 degrees C. 150ltr tank. Never seen anything like this, almost all of them are now lying on the substrate, still breathing (not gasping or anything) but look almost stoned ?

Position your filters return nozzle so that it aggitates the waters surface or lower water level.

Keith.

Done these already ! i did a 40% water change within an hour, put the carbon back in the filter, turned up the airflow to oxygenate, and filter outlet is already pointing to surface anyway.
Is it possible that the medication can have somehow chemically changed since ive had it ? the expirery dfate in June 2012, but ive had it for a year or so, so its been open but unused since Feb last year. Is it possible the chemical may have settled or seperated, so the recommended measurement may have contained alot more of the active chemical ?

Iv used this once before and found myself doing a huge water change shortlyafter due to stange behaiour, exactly the same as what you have stated they all just droped to the bottom of the tank :S my water was fine and defonatly no overdose either. must just be dodgey stuff.
Water changes should sort it though, i did around a 60% then a further 50% later in the day and they all picked back up :D
Good luck
Andy

Done these already ! i did a 40% water change within an hour, put the carbon back in the filter, turned up the airflow to oxygenate, and filter outlet is already pointing to surface anyway.
Is it possible that the medication can have somehow chemically changed since ive had it ? the expirery dfate in June 2012, but ive had it for a year or so, so its been open but unused since Feb last year. Is it possible the chemical may have settled or seperated, so the recommended measurement may have contained alot more of the active chemical ?
If you broke the seal on the bottle today then it should be fine. From what Andy has posted then could well be dogey, and if so i would be spitting feathers with interpet.

Thanks Andy, its really good to hear youve had the same thing happen with this med ! I'll do another change first thing in the morn again then. Did all your fish survive ? several of my loaches are looking a little more active than earlier, and my Plec has righted its self now and is just sat under the bogwood...im really hoping they are all 'coming round'.
What on earth can this stuff have done to them ?

GOOD NEWS ! they all appear to be returning to normal behaviour thank god ! done another water change this morn, Platies are all feeding again and Loaches are back in their normal daytime hiding place, Plec is still quiet but he has been moving around.
I will NEVER buy anything from Interpet again though.
Thanks everyone for your help !

I also have just came across this problem!! I added the medication as per instructions and within fifteen minutes my fish were very sleepy!!! My barbs were particularly affected with two of them lying upside down (but visibly still breathing). My boesmani rainbows seem less affected but are much less active that normal. User beware.

I have done a water change and added lots of carbon to the filter, fingers crossed!

same happened to me with this medication, all my fish went drowsy and slow they looked totally drugged, i think its the phenoxyethanol. they were still drifting about ok tho. my pleco did not enjoy it tho and swam all over aggitated. bit of a dangerous one this, can really knock them for six. i did find it worked and no one croaked but its a fine line

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back