Interpet 15w blub alternative.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

steven.pollard01

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the interpet 15w blub and the low energy blubs you can by in the supermarket that are a quarter of the price and some 20w will that help?
Thanks Steve

Lighting is a complicated subject, but I can probably explain a few basics that will help answer your question.

You don't mention live plants, but aquarium light for plants must be quite specific. It must be a minimum intensity to drive photosynthesis (how plants grow), and it must also provide good wavelengths in the red and blue colour (these drive photosynthesis directly, red more importantly) and adding green to the mix helps plants and also improves the colour rendition, making fish and plant colours more natural. Other than intensity, fish don't really care about the light; intensity is important because fish are directly affected by intense light. Most of our fish come from fairly dimly-lit waters, and their metabolism and physiology is designed for this.

To compare lighting, we need to know the purpose (plants or just fish, and if plants, which species because different species have differing light requirements), and the intensity and spectrum of the light bulb/tube/LED output. Watts is only the measure of the amount of energy (= electricity) a bulb/tube needs to produce the light it emits; unless we are comparing identically-manufactured bulbs or tubes, watts is not an indicator of intensity. Example, a GE Daylight 6500K CFL bulb of 13w will be brighter (= more light intensity emitted) than the same bulb in 9w. But this 9w might be much brighter light than a different brand bulb in 20w. These days, bulbs and tubes are manufactured very differently, so it is how the bulb/tube is made that determines the light intensity and spectrum.

If you could provide more data on the Interpet bulb I might be able to be more specific; also, are live plants present and which species. I use the less expensive home improvement/hardware store bulbs whenever I can over aquarium-specific ones, but this may not always be possible depending upon the bulb/tube.

Byron.

Hi

the tank will have live plants in and is 19L. The tank is about 35cm tall.

the only info i can is Lighting spectrum : Daylight White

Would i do better to upgrade to led and are the cheap ones on eBay and amazon from china any good?

Thanks

Steve

Hi

the tank will have live plants in and is 19L. The tank is about 35cm tall.

the only info i can is Lighting spectrum : Daylight White

Would i do better to upgrade to led and are the cheap ones on eBay and amazon from china any good?

Thanks

Steve

What type of fixture is this? By this I mean, is it a fluorescent tube, or screw-in bulbs? If the latter, how many sockets?

It has one Screw in fitting in the hood
But could remove the light fittings for an upgrade

Steve

It has one Screw in fitting in the hood
But could remove the light fittings for an upgrade

Steve

Excellent, Your least expensive and frankly best alternative here is a CFL (compact fluorescent) bulb, one of those spiral ones. Get a Daylight with a Kelvin of 6500K. Most CFL's are warmer, so you may need to hunt around, but home improvement stores (Home Depot, Lowes) usually have them. And over your tank, I would suggest a 13w or higher. I don't know exactly what wattages they come in, as I use two 9w over my 10g and 20g tanks. Here's a photo of a pack of 20w GE 6500K CFL's to show what I am talking about. One of these should provide good light.

You mentioned LED previously--I would not bother, as the GE 6500K is ideal plant/fish lighting, and it is inexpensive since you have the fixture. LED is nice if you know exactly what you are getting (the spectrum, intensity, etc) but it can be quite expensive. I have tried five LED units, all went back as useless. On my smaller tanks I use the CFL's, and fluorescent T8 on the larger.

Byron.

Attachments

• GE CFL 6500K bulbs.jpg
    GE CFL 6500K bulbs.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 70

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back