Internal Parasites - Worming Medication In The Uk

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bloo

~ I learn something new ~ ~~~~ every day ~~~~
Reaction score
I just thought I'd share some recent information I found - mostly in relation to this thread of mine - where my one loach died of Skinny Disease. Now this is usually associated with internal parasites, though when I did a post mortem I found none. That said, I'm keen to treat the rest of my tank, even though all other fish are healthy, fat and eating well.

I bought some "Wormer plus / Flubenol15". I only just received it in the post yesterday, so haven't had a chance to look at it properly yet. It comes recommended by a discus keeper I know.

It seems the active main "ingredient" in this product (which comes as pre-packed powder sachets where each packet treats 50 gallons), is Flubendazole. The link given is one I found googling around to find out exactly what this is - and seems to treat "skinny disease" very well !

The information in that link is fascinating and I'm sure might be of help to others in the future too. This is something which seems to do no harm to treat "just in case" - where so many of the fish be buy in our lfs (loaches and plecs especially) are wild caught, and a large percentage already come with some level of internal parasite infestation (without obviously displaying the signs).

I'm now just trying to find out how safe it is to use with shrimp in the tank, but will report and update this thread once treatment is underway.

Bloo i would get this pinned in the emergency section.

Just thought I'd give an update on the use of it in my community tanks.
I really couldn't find out if this was harmful to shrimp in any way or not. So decided to take the plunge and find out.

I'm happy to report that they are all still 100% healthy and the medication had no adverse effects on them.

I wasn't even sure if any of my fish had internal parasites or not, but as one wild imported fish died recently due to emancipation, I decided to treat my tanks just in case.

So from my experience with the product in three different tanks, I can say that fish & shrimp are still looking absolutely fine :good:

Just thought I'd give an update on the use of it in my community tanks.
I really couldn't find out if this was harmful to shrimp in any way or not. So decided to take the plunge and find out.

I'm happy to report that they are all still 100% healthy and the medication had no adverse effects on them.

I wasn't even sure if any of my fish had internal parasites or not, but as one wild imported fish died recently due to emancipation, I decided to treat my tanks just in case.

So from my experience with the product in three different tanks, I can say that fish & shrimp are still looking absolutely fine :good:

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I live in New York (US). I found a place (in the US) to purchase the medication already. But thanks anyways.

will the medication affect the beneficial/nitrifying bacteria in the tank/filter?

Well it certainly didn't affect mine in any way. I've used it twice. As i said: even the shrimp were unaffected and they are extremely sensitive generally to any meds or changes in water params.

Well it certainly didn't affect mine in any way. I've used it twice. As i said: even the shrimp were unaffected and they are extremely sensitive generally to any meds or changes in water params.
did the medication worked?
thanks again Bloo

If you read the thread of mine (in the first link) - I bought it to treat my tank "just in case" because I lost a loach to what I suspect was skinny disease. Other loaches showed no simptoms and they are still all alive and happy and chunky :good:

So I can't tell you if it worked - because there was nothing obvious to fix. I can tell you that it didn't harm anything. Another forum I sometimes frequent has a number of serious discus keepers and they swear by using this stuff on a regular basis. That's all I can tell you.

Bloo,
Has wormer plus worked for u. I have a male bolivian ram with intestinal worms and I've used this stuff twice. He still has signs of the worms i.e. red threads hanging from his anus. its not as bad as it was but I expected more -_-

Bloo,
Has wormer plus worked for u. I have a male bolivian ram with intestinal worms and I've used this stuff twice. He still has signs of the worms i.e. red threads hanging from his anus. its not as bad as it was but I expected more -_-

did you also tried other medications?
which one would you recommend?

do you plan to use this stuff regularly?
Every few months after adding wild caught fish - yes

Bloo,
Well as I explained, I used it to treat skinny disease - not for obvious worms.
How long has it been since you've treated the tank ?

well as I explained, I used it to treat skinny disease - not for obvious worms.
How long has it been since you've treated the tank ?

first time over a month ago, and last week

Hi Bloo, glad you had good results with the wormer :)

Chris from Plymouth Discus recommends it's use on a monthly basis to keep discus (and other fish) in tip top condition especially if you feed live foods.

Q: Everybody keeps saying I should keep worming my Discus,
how do I do this?
A: There are several products on the market for the purpose of
worming your discus. Some people have even been known to
use cat and dog Dorontal worming tablets. I have always found
this in the past to be hit and miss, also discus have been killed this way after listening to wrong advice. I use WORMER PLUS as this is a soluble powder that
makes your tank water a little cloudy for a day or to, as it needs
to be suspended in the water for best effect on your Discus. As
they can't get away from this they have no choice but to take it in
with the water through their system. Where as some other products
if they don't actually eat the wormer it won't work.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: I have noticed my Discus breathing very rapid with gill covers
opening and closing very fast, is there anything wrong?

A: This is a very common problem and sounds to me like gill
flukes. Again there are products on the market to address this.
As I use WORMER PLUS this also will kill/cure gill flukes as well
as many other parasites, which I use every month to give them a
good all round protection and treatment.

I have C+Pasted this from his website, it may be helpful to some members

Anita

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back