Internal Filter Buzzing

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

daizeUK

Fish Botherer
Reaction score
My filter (Interpet PF2) has been running for about 5 months and it was starting to buzz so I pulled it out yesterday for a clean.  Took it apart, removed the impeller and gave it a thorough scrubbing and descaling.  Loads of scale came off it!  Then I put it back in my tank and now it's buzzing twice as worse :/

I'm worried it will be giving the fish a headache with that constant vibration and noise!

I'm thinking of replacing it with an external, I'm interested in getting a UV sterilizer anyway so maybe an external is the way to go.  Although the tank is only 60L it does seem like overkill.

Sometime a small bit of Vaseline on the impeller can assist with the noise, however if it is the motor then it could be on its way out, so you may need to move fairly swiftly before it does pack up.  Do not worry about overkill, it is fine to have a larger filter and over filter.  What is your reasoning for adding a UV?

I have recently been considering one of these for my smaller aquarium.  AQUAEL MINIKANI smart canister, has anyone had any experience of these?  These guys seem to have a range of them.

Thanks RCA I might try that trick with the vaseline.  I suspect it is more likely the motor though...

I've been thinking of investing in a UV sterilizer to deal with green water.  The tank is next to a bright window and the water starts to look murky after about 5 days so I am keeping on top of it with regular water changes but a sterilizer would be nice to help keep the water clear.

I measured the inside of my cabinet and it's tiny, only 17cm front to back so I would need a VERY compact external model!

Been having a quick look at a few filter models.  It seems that Fluval, Tetratec and Aqua One are all out as they're too big for my space!

RCA those Aquael filters only have about 350lph flow output which seems lower than other models - depends how big your tank is I suppose?  I keep hearing that we should be aiming for about 10x tank capacity in terms of flow output.  So I guess I should be aiming for 500-700lph for my 60L tank.

The Eheim Classic 250 looks like it might fit nicely in my cabinet, that's 440lph.  I'm not sure about the design though.  It looks like if you want to clean it you have to take all the media out, there's no seperate tray for biomedia.  Would be a bit awkward for loose media like ceramic rings.

You can buy media bags, daize; like little drawstring bags made of nylon mesh. They're very handy for those kinds of filters.

Great tip thanks Fluttermoth!  I will seriously consider that Eheim then

I've used those bags with ceramic rings and a Penguin HOB filter.  They would great.  

Can I have a stupidity check please!  The Eheim classic 250 is intended for aquariums 80L-250L.  I don't see anywhere say that it has adjustable flow control.  Is this filter too big for my 64L tank?

Haha thanks for that!  And I can just imagine the look on my husbands face when he sees the results of my DIY effort all over the kitchen floor!

I was bracing myself to fork out £80 for an Eheim 250 but I've just seen it for £31 on Amazon
drool.gif
  I think that kind of settles it, for that price I will buy it and make it work somehow!

The only difference I can see is that it comes with a sponge instead of 'ehfimech' loose media (which is fine, I'm more familiar with squeezing sponges anyway) and it doesn't include the double taps (which doesn't mean a lot to me right now so I think I need more investigation!)

its the professional to classic series move there, the classic is really basic, just a 4L lock & lock tub with a power head & some tubes, made by Eheim. At £31 though for an out the box solution, go for it!

One thing worries me - I don't think I have room to put a spray bar above the waterline.  It would have to go under the water - would this be a problem?

Next to start looking for a UV sterilizer!  Any recommendations?

It shouldn't be a problem.  If its too powerful, direct it upwards (or upwards and towards a wall of the tank to distribute the energy) and push it low enough that the water doesn't spray out of the tank.

Good tip Eagles.

Eek I thought those Vecton V2 units were tiny.  They're huge! 

Meant to say, if your U2 is 5 months old from new, claim your replacement! Within 6 months, its your consumer right for refund or replacement if it breaks. After 6 months the retailer can insist on repair and its up to you to prove it was fundamentally broken when you got it (i.e. it was never going to last in its intended purpose)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back