Interesting Gourami Behaviour

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Squidney1313

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
 So I own a pair of dwarf Gouramis that I keep in a 40 gallon with some tetras and shrimps.

One of the Gouramis has a very peculiar spot to hangout, It likes to sit vertically face to the gravel in between the corner of the tank and a plastic plat that it constantly digs up. overall it looks very healthy and comes up no problem for feedings.  as I am not very experienced with Gouramis i'm not sure whether there is a nest of some sort or he just enjoys this spot. 

Any kind of clarification would be great, as i'm less concerned as i am curious!

The behaviour does sound odd to me, I am a recent gourami owner so not too clued up about their behaviour but they are related to bettas which I know a bit about and the only time I have seen bettas do this is if they are being bullied as it helps to hide their profile more if they adopt this position, are you sure no bullying is going on with the other gourami? are they a male female pair? they typically nest on the surface of the water building a raft of bubbles mixed with plant pieces they find so this does not sound like a nest, a pic of the gourami doing this may shed some insight other than this I do not know, the one I have doesn't do this but he is kept alone.

Im pretty sure its a male female pair, ive owned these two for about 2 months and ive never seen any sort of bullying between the two. it does come out to swim and feed and the two can be seen swimming together happily or being in the same area with no problems whatsoever. after looking closely i couldnt find any evidence of fin nipping or anything to really indicate bullying. 

The behaviour does sound odd to me, I am a recent gourami owner so not too clued up about their behaviour but they are related to bettas which I know a bit about and the only time I have seen bettas do this is if they are being bullied as it helps to hide their profile more if they adopt this position,
Me too I have kept Gouramis and never seen them do that, Sounds like its hiding.

There's no nest. I agree with NickAu, sounds like it's hiding. Is there mechanical filtration/aeration in that 40 gallon? If so, turn it off for a few hours/couple days --- for as long as the tetras and shrimp can handle it, and observe its behavior. 

Gouramis and Anabantoids, particularly bubble-nesting species such as Dwarf Gourami, are stagnant-water fish. They do not like water movement. They can tolerate it but rarely thrive in it and often will seek out a placid corner.

Adults can't use dissolved oxygen in the water like your tetras and shrimp can. The fry do so for the 1st few weeks of life but once they develop the labyrinth organ they need to breathe from the surface for the rest of their lives. They can "drown" if prevented access to the surface.

If you do cut the mechanical filtration/aeration and find your tetras and shrimp to be stressed by the lack of dissolved oxygen you might consider adding (more) live plants. Floating plants especially, such as Elodea, are oxygenators. The oxygen they provide is as dissolved as the oxygen from the finest air-stones but will not create turbulence --- optimal conditions for all 3 species in that 40g.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back