Injected guppies?

Welsh_Woman

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I got 5 guppy a few days ago with bright orange/red tail and black stripes going down the tail to. Since then I have had 2 die, seemed ok but their colour had completely drained from there tail. Now the last 3 are left and their tails are slowly fading as well. Could they have been dyed? or are they infected with something? its not happening to my other fish just the guppy. :-(

I seriously doubt guppies are dyed - much too wasteful when you can already get them in so many colors - it simply wouldn't be economical. Plus you seem to be discribing the snakeskin sort of pattern - or grass or some sort of variegated. It doesn't matter realy just that it's probably natural.

Anyway, you should post you water params, the tank size, tank mates and how long you've had these fish. I would suggest possibly finrot or an internal bacterial infection but probably the problem is just water quality or shock and more frequent water changes or a slower acclimation next time should do the trick. Also check the temp. and that they are eating.

That's a common colouration for Guppies, I doubt they've been dyed. Have you checked your water parameters? sounds like a problem there or some sort of illness/infection.

I tested my water just before i got them, water tested fine, other tank mates are in my siggy, all other fish are fine its just the guppy sadly :( one was swimming around and just stopped and sank to the bottom like he was dead, as he touched the gravel he whipped off again, then after doing this again he didn't get back up. I'm currently treating for white spot, if this is any help. :dunno:

I'd test your water again, is does sound like a water-related problem. That said, it could be a bad batch, this does happen from time to time...hope the others survive though :)

Well you ARE over-stocked but it kind of depends on the size of the plec.

You need a 25 gallon for the other fish so if the plec is of any substantial size, you are over-stocked slightly - nothing major though. Certainly shouldn't be a problem if the plec is under 4".

Did you test your water at your LFS? Define 'fine'. Exact measurements are what we need and, if you don't have one already, a test kit (prefferably a liquid-based one) is invaluable for any fish keeper and should never be over-looked so buy one.

Oh and if these guppies survive, I wouldn't add any more fish. I think your tank is around 25 gallons so you don't have room for more fish and will eventualy need to move the plec. (it's 113 litres right?)

Well i have 1 guppy left now, yes it is 113 litres but someone told me this was not over stocking? The water tests are still good, ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10. my plec is about 3" at the moment.

Sorry to hear about yet more losses. :(

If the other fish are OK, I would put it down to bad luck, your water params are definately good.

I had a similar thing about a year ago with 6 cardinals, they lasted 24 hours. When i was next in the LFS i bought them from i mentioned it and the manager did say that they had only arrived in the day I bought them. Probably couldn't take the stress of 2 moves. I wish he'd told me that at the time though :crazy:

I'd agree the tank is not over stocked, but that also depends on your filtration, but looking at the water param's I'd say that fine. Another possibility is

A-have you purchased fish from this store before?
if yes do they have a different filtration on each tank or a single/few central filters?
if yes and singular most likely a bad/unlucky batch of guppies

B-If all seperated filtration or different/new LFS the water params may have been different enough to highly stress the fish into death

Another thought what sex are the mollies and what sex were/are the guppies. If all or most of the mollies are males and the guppies are female (One of my LFS's stocks some VERY nicely finned/coloured female guppies), the guppies may of been stressed to death by the mollies (I've seen small male guppies chasing a full grown female swordie for a bit, and a male swordie tke more than a passing intrest in a guppy girl)

HTH Katchan

All my fish have come from the same place, they all have their own filters in each tank, but as was said, the guppies may have come in that day i got them because I go down on the days the new fish come in and they wern't there last time. I havn't seen any other fish pick on the guppies, so yep it must be pure bad luck :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back