Info on Black Mollies.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

grae1980

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just started up a tank with 2 dwarf gouramis(2 male) and 3 black mollies (2 female, 1 male). Now, the gouramis seem to going really well in the tank, but the mollies dont seem to be very active, and am a bit concerned as thought the mollies were a rather active fish.

My dad has never been able to keep mollies, no matter how hard he tries, so thought i would give them a go. Ive added the correct amount of aquarium salt that the like, and are feeding enough, but just seem to sit in the corner of the tank.

Should i be at all worried about them, or is this normal when starting out???

Graeme.

:) It sometimes takes a while for new fish to settle into their home. I wouldn't worry about it if the mollies look and act heathly. My large female black molly was so shy when I first introduced her into my tank, that she always stayed in back and was extremly timid. Now, she enjoys the attention and always swims across the front of the tank. :thumbs:

I had 2 mollies in a 10 gallon set up... mine were pretty dull for a day or so when did you add them in? Sometimes they have to get used to the new environment and water and once they do they are great fish. Though my mollies were fin biters.

Is this a brand new tank? What temp? Depending how you answer the first question there may be some things that we'll need to know...

ALASKA

Yeah, the tank has been set up for about 3 weeks now, and the mollies have been in there just under a week now. Other than the lack of movement, they seem healthy enough.

Temp of the tank is sitting about 26 degrees and all ph, nitrit and nitrate levels are all good.

How about the ammonia levels. Have you read this: http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?sh...showtopic=10099 it may contain some useful information... sounds like your tank is just hitting the cycle. Fortunately mollies are pretty hardy, but even so purchasing an ammonia test kit and depending on the results water changes will most likely be needed.

The ammonia levels are all fine, and the fish seem fine enough, just not very active. At the moment, am just putting it down to the fact they have just started out in the tank and are a bit shy, and will wait and see what happens over the next few weeks.

When you say "fine" what are the exact levels of ammonia + nitrIte?

The ammonia levels are at just over 0, but ammolock has been put in so water is ok and the nitrite levels are ok, according to testkit i have - either say its ok or not. Since starting post though, mollies have livened up and are just brilliant now............really energetic and look to be having a good time. Cheers for help from everyone.

Most reactions

Back