I'm so impatient!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lizard

Married Lizard
Reaction score
Residing in a big city in Minnesota, but I'm a cou
I have a female Platy, who is hugely pregnant. I thought moving her yesterday (from the lfs to my aquarium) may "encourage" her to give birth, but no such luck :/ I'm so excited about having fry soon (hopefully!). A friend of mine even wants some of the babies when they're a little older :D

<sigh> At leat on my goats I can pretty well tell when they're going to deliver. Not that I'm any more patient with them, mind you, I just know how to tell when the birth is imminent.

Impatiently yours,
Pamela
aka Lizard

Man, I totally feel ya! When I brought home my preggy platy, I was ready for her to pop any second... of course she had to wait a few DAYS! :rolleyes: Fish are annoying, it's so hard to tell when they are gonna give birth. I'm used to mammals like you, horses and dogs are so much easier. :p

Hehe, you guys are funny! (ooops, girls I mean)
Gotta get cichlids! Then you know for sure when they are going to deliver.
Cuz you do it yourself! err you can. :p

i have platys and they never seem to even go near one another yet alone mate, so i take it they are just weird but you never know one day she may do, how do you tell with platys anyways cause you cant see the fry like the guppies do?? (im confused))) :crazy: :-( :crazy: :crazy:

ruffmeister, with platys and mollies, their normally rounded bellys get huge and actually kind of square off along the bottom. they literally look like they are going to burst at the seams. some of the lighter colored platys will get the gravid spot, but non of my mollies have shown one.

its tough to know for sure, and its a little annoying because youre excited about it and you want to move them but you don't becasue you don't want to do it too early and cause them to abort. just watch her behavior too. my goldie was hiding a lot and separating herself from the others as best she could right before she gave birth.

its just that bought a baloon molly from lfs and he said she was so pregnant that she would prob burst in the bag or within 24 hours right, so got her home placed her in the tank and 4 weeks later still nothing but she does look huge, so i guess she must be ust fat, but the males still loves her and hangs round her all the time, but today i noticed that her underside near gravid spot is darker when the light shines through so maybe she is pregnat now and soon more babies,

got a question because she is a baloon molly will her fry be different to guppies e.g look like balloon straight away? also will the sunshine platys come out with thier colour or will they be clear too?

cheers in advance

MANY_A_MOLLY said:
ruffmeister, with platys and mollies, their normally rounded bellys get huge and actually kind of square off along the bottom. they literally look like they are going to burst at the seams. some of the lighter colored platys will get the gravid spot, but non of my mollies have shown one.
My Platy's belly is huge, looks square/flat along the bottom, and looks like she is bursting at the seams. No babies yet though :/ Poor fishy looks like she may explode! She seems quite content and happy though.

I'm seeing gravid spots on my lighter Platys, and they're appear to be getting black spots amonst the pink of the gravid spot. Little eyes, I suppose.

I'm so excited! :fun:

Pamela
aka Lizard

Well i have to ask you a question. This platy looks sortof fat in the belly. I just bought it 15 min. ago. Is it you know what ready to give birth? I can't seem to find a gravid spot. It's a sunfire platy. I also got a banjo catfish. I love it. Is the platy going to give birth or does it have dropsy?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back