I'm new to this, Is this the dreaded ICH?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

dejaclue

Reaction score
Help, not sure if this is ich or something else?

Attachments

• 20190512_195356.jpg
    20190512_195356.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 286
  • 20190512_195234.jpg
    20190512_195234.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 321
  • 20190512_195511.jpg
    20190512_195511.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 267
  • 20190512_195301.jpg
    20190512_195301.jpg
    533.9 KB · Views: 298
  • 20190512_195304.jpg
    20190512_195304.jpg
    561.2 KB · Views: 294
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I really need a side view of the fish but I am 99% certain it is not whitespot (Ich/ Ick).

It looks like excess mucous on koi carp. This is normally caused by poor water quality or some sort of chemical in the water.

You need to test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Post the results (in numbers) here. If you don't have test kits, take a glass full of pond water to the local pet shop and ask them to test it for you. If they say the water is fine, ask them what the results are in numbers.

If you can't get to the local pet shop, do a 75% water change on the pond. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the pond.
If possible, syphon any gunk off the bottom too.

The water has 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 20 nitrate. They were flashing and showing signs of flukes so I treated with Prazi 4 days ago. He has been bottom sitting, all the others dont show those signs and all seem normal but they are all eating. I also did a food mix with prazi,metroplex, focus and garlic guard. When I first dosed with prazi they all went bonkers and so far only lost a mosquito fish but everyone seems to be fine except this blue butterfly koi (All I have is koi, goldfish, and a hiband shark fish) I have ich-x but I am super nervous to use it becaue I know unlike prazi you can really f#*ck sh*t up with to much of ich-x and overdose where as prazi for flukes you really dont have to worry.

Heres a side view

Attachments

• 20190512_195105.jpg
    20190512_195105.jpg
    672.7 KB · Views: 265
It doesn’t really look like it to me, ich/ick is pretty much (in my experience) tiny white dots, starting form the edges of the fin, to the center of the body. If in-treated it could lead to your fishes death. But as @Colin_T and I have already said, it does not look like ich/ick. :)

If you put all those chemicals in their food and treated the pond, you probably poisoned them.

Did you do a big water change 24 hours after treating them?

Did you work out how much water is in the pond before treating them?

-----------------------
I would do a 75% water change and suck any gunk out of the bottom.

If you have to treat goldfish for gill flukes, anchor worm or external parasites, you should use salt.

You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate will affect some plants. The lower dose rate will not affect plants.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that.

I'm confused. The meds say they are safe for fish. The other reason why I'm confused is all the other fish are fine, so if one were poisoned, wouldnt they all be? What do you use when you have sick fish?

Medications are all poisonous if overdosed, and if you mix medications it is easy to overdose the fish.

The sick fish might be physically weaker than the others or it might have ingested more of the medication.

---------------------
As to what I use, it depends on the problem but I normally start with salt for gill flukes, fungal or protozoan infections, Praziquantel for tapeworm, Levamisole for thread/ round worms. If I have a resilient case of white spot I use copper. But you need to identify the problem first and treat after you know what it is.

The following link has some information about what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

The medications may be safe for fish - though not everything described as safe for fish is actually safe - but not all at the same time. And individual fish can react differently to the same thing.

For example, have you ever read the leaflets that come with human medicines? They usually contain a list of other medicines that must not be taken at the same time. It's the same with fish medication. And another example, penicillin is 'safe for humans' but if I take any it could kill me as I am allergic to penicillin.

Ok. The only other thing I can think of is maybe he had a more worse case of flukes than the others and those are wounds from flashing and scratching. He seems to be doing better today though. I definitely know they all had flukes. I wasnt sure if he had something along with it

Definitely, without a doubt, not ich and not carp pox. Wish I could say what it definitely is. Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back