I'm at a loss

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rook426

Reaction score
Have a 57l new tank I'm setting up for pea puffers.
I started by taking some bio media from an established filter and adding them to the new filter. Then added new substrate an underlaying plant substrate and sand on top. Some hardy plants,rocks and spider wood. I then gave it a dose of special blend. This was all done last Saturday and have since added a smidge of fish food, today the readings are;
0.0 0.5mg/l to amnonia
Cl2 0 0.8
No3 10
No2 0
The lfk happily informed me it was ready for fish but as it is the lfk I have severe doubts.
Experts advise please

First, what plant species and how many? A photo of the entire tank might answer this best.

Second, what "plant substrate" did you use?

Third, the nitrates at 10 is odd, but could be due to one or both of two things. Have you tested your tap w2ater on its own for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Odd. Did you keep the old media wet and move it quickly to the new tank? Your tank doesn’t seemed to have cycled yet. You may want to use some Tetra Safe Start too.

I have used pro aqua Scape nutri base for the substrate.

I have used pro aqua Scape nutri base for the substrate.

As I suspected...according to a review in Practical Fishkeeping, this substrate leeches ammonia for a few weeks. So that likely explains the ammonia reading.

You have not answered about tests of the tap water on its own, and this is very important. You need to know if ammonia, nitrite or nitrate might be present in the tap water. You need to pin down the nitrate at 10 ppm, which could be from the tap water or from the substrate.

I have got lilaeopsis moves Zealandia, anubias congensis, anubias heterophylla, crypto nevelli and some grass for plants I was hoping to add more today. Water test on tap water is;
0.8 cl2
6.5 pH
3d kh
No2 0
No3 2

Tank readings:
0 cl2
pH 6
Kh 3
N02 0
No3 2

I cannot upload photos for some reason

Although I am using the test strips for most of my readings ( yes I know) none of my lfs sells the test kits I only have one for amnonia

I also am seeing white fungus blooming on the spider wood. Am I correct in thinking this is due to excess nutrients in the water?

Some good plants to try include Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma, H. ruba/ rubra, Elodia/ Hydrilla, common Amazon Sword plant, narrow Vallis, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta)

The Water Sprite floats on the surface but can also be planted in the substrate. The other plants should be grown in the gravel.

-----------------------
Set your camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take a few more pictures. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on here.

-----------------------
The white fungus on the wood is from the rotting wood. It is harmless and nothing to worry about. If it concerns you, take the wood outside and hose it off.

From the water test numbers, it would seem the ammonia is from the plant substrate. Nitrate is likely also partly from this, as well as the tap water (2 ppm). You have live plants. So yes, you can add the first fish.

One caution on the wood fungus, it might be toxic. Some of the branching type of wood is known for very toxic fungus; I had a piece myself that nearly killed my fish, and I knew another aquarist locally who actually wiped out his cories with this toxin. Grapewood is said to be particularly dangerous. Spiderwood, I don't know. Just be aware of it. The only way to ascertain if the fungus is toxic or not is to have it analysed by a microbiologist.

It is spider wood I am using from an established source. The tank seems be doing well and fish have been added. Thank you for the help

Most reactions

trending

Back