identify this salamander

Torrean

The Hairy Potter
Reaction score
DVC00617.jpg

DVC00629.jpg

he has a thin tall rudderlike tail, green body, yellow belly, and is about 3 1/2 inches long

edit: he also has red spots on his back I think he might be a red spot salamander but i'm not sure

another edit: his front feet are a lot smaller than his back feet

sorry that was a wrong answer.

what was wilder?

oh i guess you edited it huh
sorry i'm blind
and none too bright

any stats on what they eat what temp they like what fish they get along with would be appreciated. I am planning on returning him to the wild in the morning but if it turns out that he can survive I might put him in my girls aquarium she loves the little guy. Or I might find someone who sells them and take this little guy back

edit: The place I got him from was really polluted trash everywhere. If I can keep him I would like too.

If you are not haveing any luck finding it useing the word salamander try newt it looks more like one too me

I HAVE THOSE! Eastern spotted newts, or red efts :hey:

I've had four for just over a year now :)
newpicsoldfish047.jpg

newpicsoldfish046.jpg

newpicsoldfish044.jpg

You would be better off setting up a small aquarium filled 1/3 or 1/4 of the way with water, at a temp anywhere from 65-80 degrees. (They need some sort of land, and they can eat fish) Mine eat frozen fish food and shrimp pellets :) Look around at some LFS or LPS, you should be able to find some eventually :thumbs:

Mine currently live in a 10 gallon aquarium with a small internal filter, some rocks, and a lot of Java moss and Java fern. they share this home with 3 african dwarf frogs :D

If you need more specific info, fee free to PM me ;)

thank you very much. what kind of filter do you use? also do the newts need a land mass because mine appears to have gills? I have learned that when they get bigger they do but for right now do I need to go find and boil a big rock?

what kind of fish do you recommend if i feed it live food. any other kinds of live food.; I have shrimp pellets but he was wild so i want to give him a treat from time to time.

Torrean said:
thank you very much. what kind of filter do you use? also do the newts need a land mass because mine appears to have gills? I have learned that when they get bigger they do but for right now do I need to go find and boil a big rock?

what kind of fish do you recommend if i feed it live food. any other kinds of live food.; I have shrimp pellets but he was wild so i want to give him a treat from time to time.
I use a fluval filter (Fully submersable) My newts spend a lot of time in the water but they do like to come onto a rock and sit in the warmth of the lamp occasionally. Newts aren't really too picky IME, just give them a smelly meaty food and they should eat it (Frozen bloodworms). Ghost shrimp and guppies would be good feeders though, although mine have eaten tadpoles, but not the kind you would find at a pet store :)

my girlfriend keeps ghost shrimp in her aquarium to help keep it clean would it be a good idea to put the ghost shrimp in my ten gallon for a few weeks to weed out the sick ones. I have heard that ghost shrimp transmit disease, and sadly i would rather have my little newt get sick than all of the fish in her 29 gal.

Torrean said:
my girlfriend keeps ghost shrimp in her aquarium to help keep it clean would it be a good idea to put the ghost shrimp in my ten gallon for a few weeks to weed out the sick ones. I have heard that ghost shrimp transmit disease, and sadly i would rather have my little newt get sick than all of the fish in her 29 gal.
Ghost shrimp have never carried diseases IME, they should be fine with the newt :)

germanshepherdlver said:
theres wild ones in a local pond near my house they breed like rabbits!!! :crazy:
I think those are a different type of newts, the ones being discussed in this thread occur in north america, not the UK. They could have been introduced, but are probably a different type of newt :)

thas a newt ent it i got loadz in my pond i cant get rid of them because they are endangered

cool! we have a bunch of these in my woods. yep, thats a red eft. they actually come out of the water and turn into a salamander and arent a newt anymore. i think they only do this when they want to though, so they could be a newt for their whole life. the salamander stage is very pretty, they are bright orange. i want to keep some now! :p

Most reactions

Back