The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Karen_2656

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
What the hell is this?:
2a59b6d98732e2b10eae69dc11e24e4f.jpg

My swordtail has developed a whiteish patch .
c972a99355d7d680f61aa73903d428c7.jpeg

Please help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What other fish do you have? It almost looks like it has been picked on by another fish.

What other fish do you have? It almost looks like it has been picked on by another fish.

There was a female swordtail, but she died giving birth. There are 6 fry and him. (The pooly swordtail.) He is normally attacked by the fry and he attacks the fry.

The fry could be picking on that spot because it stands out on the fish. The fry also might be trying to kill him off because he is considered weak. I have a deformed white mountain minnow that gets chased around the tank every so often becuase there is something wrong with him. I would put them in a fry keeper or a different tank to prevent any of the fry dying or the adult getting more injured. Also keep an eye on the wound to make sure it does not get worse.

[QUOTE="animalisterra, post: 3780257, member: 129024" trying to kill him off.[/QUOTE]

Thanks what do you mean by 'trying to kill him off' As in kill him? The fry are about 4 months old: This is them:
d0a2ca6a7952fedb27f13294e7d6fd64.jpg

The fry are around that size, sorry about the un-clear photo. I'm thinking of putting them in a 35 gallon tank (separate tank so they don't damage the swordtail fish)

Its basically survival of the fittest. The weaker ones are not going to end up making it. I don't mean that one day you will just find him dead, the other fish are just doing what they would do in the wild. There is a reason do don't see fish with broken fins and a bent tail in a pond or lake. Right now the male is strong enough to fend for himself but over time he may get weaker due to the constant harassment and the wound on his back. I would definitely move the fry to another tank (you should always have the fry separate from the parents). Give the male some time by himself, keep and eye on the wound, and he should start getting better. Do water changes often in his tank so bacteria does not start getting into the wound. When the wound heals you could introduce him back with the matured fry.

Its basically survival of the fittest. The weaker ones are not going to end up making it. I don't mean that one day you will just find him dead, the other fish are just doing what they would do in the wild. There is a reason do don't see fish with broken fins and a bent tail in a pond or lake. Right now the male is strong enough to fend for himself but over time he may get weaker due to the constant harassment and the wound on his back. I would definitely move the fry to another tank (you should always have the fry separate from the parents). Give the male some time by himself, keep and eye on the wound, and he should start getting better. Do water changes often in his tank so bacteria does not start getting into the wound. When the wound heals you could introduce him back with the matured fry.

Just moved then in a 35 gallon, thanks [emoji4]

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back