Ideas On A New Camera

Mikaila31

Always Watching
Reaction score
Well I decided this weekend I need to get my own camera, I've been using my parents Canon S1 IS ever since they got it. I use it way more than them :rolleyes:. Once I told them I was planing to buy one, my mom said she was planing to get me one for my b-day(may 31). So the deal is I get to pick one out, but I don't get it till then. I doubt they will cover all the costs, I'm happy with a 50/50 split. They got to get me other stuff too :lol:.

I've only been looking online for the last couple days. Basically I want a beginners/intermediate camera that does video too. I've been trying to get creative with my parents current canon, I wanted to do some time lapse video or photos only to find it impossible with that camera.

I short I love taking pictures, but don't know too much about cameras, ISO, f-stop, ect...... basically I want a camera I can use easily, but one that also lets me get more in depth as I learn.

So in my couple days of searching I ATM am leaning towards a Canon SD780IS. Any opinions on this camera, or suggestions on any other cameras?

Well I decided this weekend I need to get my own camera, I've been using my parents Canon S1 IS ever since they got it. I use it way more than them :rolleyes:. Once I told them I was planing to buy one, my mom said she was planing to get me one for my b-day(may 31). So the deal is I get to pick one out, but I don't get it till then. I doubt they will cover all the costs, I'm happy with a 50/50 split. They got to get me other stuff too :lol:.

I've only been looking online for the last couple days. Basically I want a beginners/intermediate camera that does video too. I've been trying to get creative with my parents current canon, I wanted to do some time lapse video or photos only to find it impossible with that camera.

I short I love taking pictures, but don't know too much about cameras, ISO, f-stop, ect...... basically I want a camera I can use easily, but one that also lets me get more in depth as I learn.

So in my couple days of searching I ATM am leaning towards a Canon SD780IS. Any opinions on this camera, or suggestions on any other cameras?

If you are really interested in photography and think you might want to progress I think that camera will restrict your creative skills eventually.

I would recommend staying away from the SLR end and have a look at the prosumer end.

Of course there are lots of things to consider i.e. portability / what you will be using it for etc. Don't pick anything over 8mp thinking it will produce superior snaps in fact 6mp is plenty for most purposes but I doubt there are many 'decent' 6mp cameras around these days lol!

Do you have to buy new?

It doesn't have to be new but i would like something with a warrenty. Any thing you would suggest?

I would like something that can do video too.

I'm currently torn between a Panasonic DCM-fz28 or a Canon SX200. I'm debating if I want to bother with getting HD video capabilities. I mean HD sounds awesome, but editing it on my computer sounds like a right pain :/ . I'm a Canon fan, I plan on trying to use CHDK if I do get a canon. Mainly for it's time lapse capabilities. I've never used it before though.

Hi mate sorry can't really help you with camera choice it might be a good idea to check Steves digicams out.. If you go to Google type camera model followed by steve's then you should get link to the conclusion of a review. You can then click back through the review for extensive info and there are usually lots of photos to look at :good:

Most reactions

Back