Ideas For Better Looking Tank?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

SarahMarie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I recently changed my scape to a more natural look from dreadful ornaments but I'm still not satisfied, I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas as I'm a bit stuck for what to do next? :) thanks for any replies

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 112
I think your tank has a lot of potential.  What I feel like it lack at the moment is a focal point.  If I were you, I would try to make an area of the tank a place that the eye would naturally focus on.  You can do that using the heights of your plants and by making open space.  It's hard to give specific ideas because, after all, it's your scape!

It also looks like only half your tank is brightly illuminated.  Is that the look you wanted?

For me, I think the gravel clashes a bit. Maybe trade it for a more natural looking kind of gravel or sand?
The tank background I think would look better being a black. You could see if you like it by removing the old back ground and placing a bin bag over the top to see which you like more.
It needs a focal point like a large piece of driftwood or a big rock. :)

NeonBlueLeon said:
I think your tank has a lot of potential.  What I feel like it lack at the moment is a focal point.  If I were you, I would try to make an area of the tank a place that the eye would naturally focus on.  You can do that using the heights of your plants and by making open space.  It's hard to give specific ideas because, after all, it's your scape!

It also looks like only half your tank is brightly illuminated.  Is that the look you wanted?

Thanks, do you think maybe adding more bogwood to one side, maybe with some moss attached then just have a few small plants on the other? And the tank has 2 lights, one is a day light and the other is blue which I use at night. The day light is on the right which is probably why it is lighting one side more than the other :)

TallTree01 said:
For me, I think the gravel clashes a bit. Maybe trade it for a more natural looking kind of gravel or sand?
The tank background I think would look better being a black. You could see if you like it by removing the old back ground and placing a bin bag over the top to see which you like more.It needs a focal point like a large piece of driftwood or a big rock. :)
Thanks for that. Is it difficult to change substrates? I'll most likely have some play sand left over from when I do my new tank. And I'll try your idea for the background, good idea :) could I just use rocks from the garden (after being cleaned obviously)?

That's a lovely looking piece of wood you have already, any way you can get it standing up? That would give you some height.

Out of curiosity, what's that spiky thing on the left side of the tank? Looks like a flower of some type but I can't see what it's attached to.

Hmmm, maybe if I added more wood to lean it against it would stay up. And that bunch of plants on the left are fake. Haha sorry I forgot to mention that! :$

Ahhh good. My eyes aren't off then.

Just an idea, since only the right half is well lit when the daylight is on, perhaps you could put hiding places such as a cave there as well as fake plants.  Then keep nice vibrant, live plants in the light.  Kind of a dual focus tank.

NeonBlueLeon said:
Just an idea, since only the right half is well lit when the daylight is on, perhaps you could put hiding places such as a cave there as well as fake plants.  Then keep nice vibrant, live plants in the light.  Kind of a dual focus tank.
That sounds a good idea, I'd like to keep it natural so maybe a coconut covered in moss for a cave perhaps?

Most reactions

Back