Ideal pharmaceuticals for Betta's?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

KrystaK

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I know from experience that Betta's tend to be sensitive to some pharmaceuticals. However it's been a while since I've had a sick Betta so I've forgotten which they are sensitive to and how to go about treating them properly when they are ill. (I ave a horror story about loosing two Betta's because I didn't know they were sensitive to the pharmaceutical I used to try and treat them) So needless to say, I am super careful now.

ANYWHO, I have a divided 10 gal, with Comet, a 1+ year old VT on one side with a off the back filter (rated for 10 gal) and a HM on the other side, I don't know his age and I haven't named him yet, his side of the tank has a simple air powered sponge filter. This tank has been running for over 6 months, though the Betta's have been in it for about 4 of those months, so the filter is well established.

So Comet has developed .... something... around his face. I am tempted to say it may be HITH or it may be a fungus, it's difficult to tell, I'll try and get a picture up ASAP. It isn't particularly fluffy or fungus like and it doesn't seem to bother him too much, but I know to look at him that something isn't right. My unnamed HM is thus far unaffected. My parameters are all within normal range, though my general hardness and pH are quite high due to living on a well (So I can't change these parameters easily).

In an effort to treat Comet AND to re-learn the things I used to know about Betta's I was hoping people could educate me on Betta's and pharmaceuticals. What could I try to treat Comet? What medications are Betta's sensitive to - is it a class of chemical or is it all chemicals in general? What do you guys think are the best brands for the various classes of pharmaceutical (i.e: fungal, bacterial ext.) to use with Betta's?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back