Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ID on African Cichlid please

Discussion in 'Cichlids - African' started by ejarrett, Feb 27, 2017.

1. ejarrett

ejarrett New Member

Have had her for almost a year now, not 100% sure of what kind she is though, would like to find her a mate.

Attached Files:

2. Demeter32

Demeter32 Member

That looks like a very fat yellow tail acie, are you sure it's a female? Looks more like a male to me. If you've had it for a year and it's that large and hasn't laid eggs then it's a male. The females that I raised all lay eggs @ under a year old, probably around 9 months actually. Even if they don't have a male to spawn with they still lay eggs and hold them for a week or so before spitting them out.
    You might want to cut back on the feeding. That fish looks very over weight, but the color is amazing ;)

3. ejarrett

ejarrett New Member

Yeah your right it's definitely a yellow tail acei. Thanks for the positive ID. Yeah it's the biggest fish of the tank so for me to cut back I would have to not feed my fish for a couple days. I think she is a female, because here is a picture of a male OB that she has been trying to mate with, but I could be wrong.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Demeter32

Demeter32 Member

He might be just be picking a fight. My dominant male will do the flashing/shimmer thing at pretty much all the other fish, including his brother and son.

I see you have a baby livingstonii :D I love them, they're so interesting. I ended up rehoming my big female because whenever she wanted to spawn she became the boss for the next week. I always said she was PMSing. I miss her quite a bit, she was my first African.

#4 Demeter32, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017