Icky Green Water

Danno

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my icky green tank. There is something seriously wrong! :crazy:

Amonia - 0 ppm
Nitites - ? ppm
Nitates = ? ppm
Day light - 12 hours
Night light 12 hours
Dont over feed
Uses live food and Topfin topical color enhancing flakes.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Hey Danno, how long has the tank been set up? How often do you change the water and how much? I definitely recommend checking your nitrites and nitrates. High nitrates could be fueling the algae bloom. Try testing not only your tank water but your tap water or whatever the source of your tank water is.

high phosphate levels are also a cause of green water.
try adding Hagen green-X to you filter, this will absorbe the phosphate.

Green Water isnt much of an emergency, If you put enought oxygen into the water at night its acctually good for your fish 99% of the time.

The phosphates are deffinitly the problem, Nitrates are unavoidable in a freshwater tank and phosphates are useually the missing ingrediant in algea bloom soup. You can either remove them or get lots of plants to help clear them up, or sit on the problem (useually fixes itself in 6 weeks) or you can put the tank into coplete darkness for 24 hours a day for two weeks which will kill all the algea off. Whichever suits you best, I'm sure there are other options I've not yet thought of, Good luck

Would I be ok to do a big water chnage and add a phosphate remover.

I found a bunch of phosphata removers but not any freshwater made ones. Are saltwater phosphate removers of for a freshwater aquarium?

look for this
285a3f25.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back