Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
Reaction score
I’m not sure if some of my fish have Ich

What should I do if I think they have

I’m not sure if some of my fish have Ich

What should I do if I think they have

Post some photos, clear ones please, so we can ascertain the issue. And what are their symptoms--spots is only one of these, and sometimes not even observable.

Never treat fish for any issue unless you are fairly certain what it is. Over 90% of all aquarium fish disease issues are caused by stress, and adding any medication adds more stress, so it needs to be necessary and effective and safe.

Just spots

Attachments

• IMG_9602.jpeg
    IMG_9602.jpeg
    316.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9600.jpeg
    IMG_9600.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9604.jpeg
    IMG_9604.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 36
@Colin_T can confirm it is ich, there is another issue that looks similar to me, and I won't guess. Colin will also have the correct treatment. Whatever it is, it is bad. Colin and others will also want to know the data...how long the tank is running, how long you've had the fish, etc, etc. Good luck.

What about a video Matthew? Might make it easier for @Colin_T etc. I find getting decent pictures of fish nearly impossible. You can send the videos to me again if you need help posting them.

How long has the tank been set up for?
How long have they had the spots for?
How many have it?
Have you added anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?

------------------

It looks like white spot but due to slightly blurry pictures it is not 100% confirmed.

Assume it is white spot and raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks, or at least 1 week after all the spots have gone.

Before raising the temperature, do the following.
Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Post the results in numbers here.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75-80% water change and gravel clean the substrate. The water change and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens so any medication (if needed) will work more effectively on the fish.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

------------------

If the heater struggles to hold the temperature at 30C (86F), tape some 1-2 inch thick sheets of polystyrene foam to the back and sides of the tank (on the outside). If you haven't got foam, put a towel around the back and sides of the tank but make sure it doesn't touch the water or come in contact with the light.

You should also have a coverglass on the top of the aquarium to trap heat, reduce evaporation and stop fish jumping out. Try to get glass that is 4, 5 or 6mm thick, rather than the 2 or 3mm glass commonly sold at pet shops. The thicker glass is less likely to chip or crack and will insulate the tank better.

How many have it?

------------------

It looks like white spot but due to slightly blurry pictures it is not 100% confirmed.

Assume it is white spot and raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks, or at least 1 week after all the spots have gone.

Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Post the results in numbers here.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75-80% water change and gravel clean the substrate. The water change and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens so any medication (if needed) will work more effectively on the fish.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

------------------

If the heater struggles to hold the temperature at 30C (86F), tape some 1-2 inch thick sheets of polystyrene foam to the back and sides of the tank (on the outside). If you haven't got foam, put a towel around the back and sides of the tank but make sure it doesn't touch the water or come in contact with the light.

You should also have a coverglass on the top of the aquarium to trap heat, reduce evaporation and stop fish jumping out. Try to get glass that is 4, 5 or 6mm thick, rather than the 2 or 3mm glass commonly sold at pet shops. The thicker glass is less likely to chip or crack and will insulate the tank better.

I am not the thread starter but just wondering if you noticed the red blotches on the sides of the fish?

What about a video Matthew? Might make it easier for @Colin_T etc. I find getting decent pictures of fish nearly impossible. You can send the videos to me again if you need help posting them.
Hello Alex I have sent you 2 videos by email

Thank you very much

How many have it?

------------------

------------------

Test results this morning they all seem fine

Only thing I have added was the extra bleeding heart tetras and they are the ones that have it

I have added and changed decorations and that’s about it

There does seem some small partial stuff floating around in the tank looks like dust

The tank has been going about 3 month

Seems like there is 3 maybe that have the spots

Attachments

• IMG_9609.jpeg
    IMG_9609.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9610.jpeg
    IMG_9610.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9611.jpeg
    IMG_9611.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 8
If you added a couple of new tetras in the last 2 weeks and they have it now, then they brought it in. So treat the tank for white spot by raising the water temperature to 30C (86F).

If you added a couple of new tetras in the last 2 weeks and they have it now, then they brought it in. So treat the tank for white spot by raising the water temperature to 30C (86F).
Ok thanks colin

I take it all the other fish will be ok with the temp at 30

Also will I still do a water change and gravel vac

And how long will I raise the temp for

Also I have sent a video to Alex he will post that for me when he received it then he can have a look or if you would like to pm me your email I can send them to you

Just at the very end of that second clip it looks like the neon has it as well. Don't worry Matthew, it will get sorted if you follow the instructions from Colin.

I would be nervous adding new LFS fish straight to an established or semi established tank.

Is it possible you can keep the old tank for qaurenteen tank in the future, or are you using everything in that tank for the new tank (heater and filter etc?). If you did use the old tank in the future for quarenteen, you wouldn't need to fill up the tank to the top necessarily.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back