I would like to get a tank for large cichlid(s)

silver

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I am very intruiged by the Red Oscar.....or Big Red. Does anyone know if they can be kept in pairs. How much space for one?? How big do they get? And how fast do they grow? What do they like to eat? What can they get BY eating......do you have to feed them feeder fish?? I assume because they have so much girth, you'd need a pretty darn big tank after a while??

What about other cichlids......like the jack demsey or firemouths?? Or Red Devils?? Can any of these be kept in pairs?? Do you have to feed them feeder fish?? How big do they get?? What are the tank requirements??

Basically, I am looking for a single species tank of cichlids. Fish with PERSONALITY!!!! :lol: That may go good with a catfish or a dozen or so cory cats. I am looking for a tank no bigger than 40 gallons so I know the fish would have to be sort of on the smaller side. So maybe not Oscars :crazy:. For a 40 gallon I guess the fish(es) should be no longer than 8 - 10" and not too big in circumference,not like the Oscar, huh??

Any imput would be greatly appreciated!!

Silver
:*

If you want to keep a large species of cichlid then you need to be looking at a tank of a minimum of 55g for a single fish or 100g for a pair, with oscars you'll need a 75g for one and 125 for a pair, large cichlids need large territories.

With just 40 gallons to play with you could keep a Green terror (Aequidens rivulatus) or a pair of Firemouth cichlids (Thorichthys meeki) but i wouldnt recomend corydoras as tankmates for either species, a larger species of armoured catfish such as Hoplosternum would fare better in a cichlid tank.
No fish NEEDS feeder fish and i personally frown upon their use unless it is a last resort to keep a fish alive, a quallity cichlid staple pellet food with supplements of frozen foods is a good healthy diet. The tank should be furnished with bogwood and rocks with a large area for open swimming, a sand substrate is best as it allows them to dig as is their natural behaviour and plants are generally not a good idea as cichlids like to redecorate and will uproot them constantly.

There are many other species of cichlid you could choose from but those are the two you are most likely to come across that would be suitable, some to look out for are Geophagus species, blue acaras (Aquedins pulcher) and Jade eyed cichlids (Cichlasoma spilurum).

Thanks CFC..!

You mentioned only 1 Green Terror. Now, is that because of thier temperment or size? Also, would you happen to know how big they'll get?

:D

Silver

I've found that convicts are fun fish. You should be able to get buy with two in your or 3 if they are the same sex they like to breed so I wouldn't get more than a breeding pair for the size tank you have. They only get about 5 in long, and they are calm except when they spawn. and they'll eat anything that fits in there mouth.

IMO Firemouths are an excellent choice, not very aggressive so they will give you more options for non-cichlid tankmates. Convicts will work well too, but they get much more aggressive when breeding. These are the popular species, but there are other smaller, less agressive and interesting cichlids that would work. Geophagus, for example, are pretty cool.

Green Terrors get too big and are too aggressive for a 40 gallon, they easily reach 8" and can get up to 10" or 12".

Oh wow.....didn't know the green terrors get that big??

Do you know a little bit more about the firemouths?? Could I get a pair and hope for breeding :shifty: ? Would they/it work in a 40 gallon with some smallish bottom dwelelrs?

I'm not really interested in the Convicts......they remind me of something (another fish) maybe goldfish...I don't know...I just don't care for them :dunno:

Thanks ;)

Silver

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back