I Want African Dwarf Frogs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mrstwalker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, I really love the African Dwarf Frogs in my local pet store. I am considering getting some so I have a few questions:

Do they need a filtered tank/moving water?
Do they do well with peaceful fish (platy/corydora) ?
What do they eat?
Do they ever need to come out of the water? 

And any other general knowledge about them! Thanks :)

Could be wrong but i hear they eat anything they can fit in there mouths. Mollys and platys they will eat i guess. As for corys id possible yes they will try and eat them but could possible injure themselfs as corys are a. Armoured catfish and b. Have very sharp poisness spines so could kill the frog and cory. Like i say i could ve very wrong here. Just a little knowledge i know about the frogs and corys. Maybe someone who keeps them could help more :)

African dwarf frogs stay small. If they can get to a newborn fry they will. More aggressive fish will probably try and eat them. As far Asa land goes all they need is the water and some plants close to the top so they can stay close. They do breathe air so there must be plenty of surface area for them to breathe. They will eat pellets just fine, but try to put a little area and always aim the food onto that.

bluesword23516 said:
African dwarf frogs stay small. If they can get to a newborn fry they will. More aggressive fish will probably try and eat them. As far Asa land goes all they need is the water and some plants close to the top so they can stay close. They do breathe air so there must be plenty of surface area for them to breathe. They will eat pellets just fine, but try to put a little area and always aim the food onto that.
Do they need a filter or air stone?? Do they make food specifically for dwarf frogs?

If you can get a small filter that would be best. It needs to have tiny holes otherwise the frog could get caught in it. They only breathe air frog the outside so no air stone is required. They do need a heater though, I don't remember the temperature they need, it's been a while since I have had them. But definitely do lots of research. They do have a special food and if you do them by themselves you ca even feed the freeze dried blood worms.

I have 4 in my community tank. They need a cycled heated tank like fish do. I keep mine at 25'c and feed them frozen blood worm with a long pair of tweezers every other day. I wouldn't worry about them eating any fish, their mouths are very small + they are practically blind so have a hard time finding food unless you dangle it in front of their noses.

I have mine in with a betta, neons, white clouds, pentazona barbs, and galaxy rasbora, and in the past they have been with black phantoms and pencilfish, none bother them at all.

Btw I'd recommend an external filter or at least one that doesnt cause much vibrations inside the tank as apparantly this can cause them stress due to their sensitive lateral lines.

They sell a 5 gallon kit at Walmart for like $30ish. That's what my betta is in. I think it would be good for a couple of the ADFs.
You could put a betta with them. But just beware some bettas don't even like frogs. :(
(That 5 gallon kit comes with an in the tank filter... but I don't notice mine causing any vibrations..)

Drwarf frogs are pretty much like bettas but less work, they cant be with corys because they never will be big enough to eat them, pretty much cant eat anything. A little fry filter would work fine (sponge with air stone), get some specialized sinking dwarf frog pellets, and maybe some bamboo or moss balls. From 1 gallon to 10 gallons would be fine for them.
They can also be fed small worms like bloodworms, and i think brine shrimp.
Also corys arent poisonous far as i know...

There spines are i beleave. Not lethal but will numb your hand if pricked by one of the little buggers lol like i was recently lol or may be another species or fish altogether im thinking off.

They should fine with Corys, as long as the fish they are with are peaceful they should be fine. And I don't believe corys are poisonous, I not entirely sure though..... :)

African Dwarf Frogs are fully aquatic, but breath air. They will eat blood worms, Tropical Fish food flakes, and just about any other kind of fish food. They will only get about two inches long, and are usually not aggressive. Hope this helped! 

Just make sure the tank is very well sealed. I've had them and they got themselves out

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back