i want a betta

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

spAcE mOnkEy

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i saw a crown tail betta in someones pic or something so now i want one. are the crown tail bettas those ones with the pointy looking spikes at the end? if they are those are the ones i want. i was wondering if i could put one in a 1 gal bowl. the fish in there now is a female guppy and an ADF. the adf seems very happy. i could easily move them to my 15 gal tho. the 1 gal bowl has 3 bamboo sticks in it with a small flower pot. i would like to know if a betta could live in that. i have seen bettas in extremly small bowls at the petstore. how can they live in such small bowls? i would never do that to a fish. i also wanted to get fire bellied newts, i would put 2 or one in a 5 gal tank that was 2/3ds of the way full. would a betta be able to live in there? look in my signature below, i would like to know if a betta could live in any of those tanks there. are crown tail bettas rare to come across in a petstore?

glad your interested in the world of bettas :) so far though i have never seen a single corwntail in my petstore (i live in canada), most of hte stuff that comes in petstores here are veiltails, i think crowntails might be a bit more rare (up here anywyas).

Bettas can live in extremely small containers becuase they breathe air through teh surface, so tehy don't need the oxygen in the water like other fish. That deosn't mean they won't enjoy a nice tank equipped with filters and such. Though i htink they perfer still water rahter than water currents created through air pumps.

One gallon should be enough for a betta, though i would suggest you keep him alone becuase they are aggressive fish and might attack your other fish. I have 2 bettas right now in a 10G tank (divided of course so they can't get to each other), and i might only put one or two more fish in there.

I'm not too sure on what the betta might be able to live with, you might wanna wait until someone else ansers that. HTH :)

My good LFS has a newt tank that is 35gal and it has rocks top to bottom, but is only half full of water. In the water they have live plants, ADFs and a male betta. It looks really cool and it's been set up for a few years. This set up works, but it's quite a bit larger than five gallons. I think that tank size would be my main concern if you want to keep newts. That's probably a question for a different topic in a different forum, but I think newts like groups and five gallons would end up being too small.

Most reactions

Back