I Need Help

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Once you get your ammonia, you'll need to add between 3 and 4 mls of it to your tank; if you pop into a chemist, they should be able to sell you a 5ml syringe (not with a needle, obviously!), just tell them it's for measuring fish medicine accurately :)

Then do an ammonia test to see what the level is like; you want to be aiming for between 2 and 3 ppm

It will take a week or two for the ammonia to start dropping, so don't bother testing for the first few days.

Once the ammonia starts to drop, add some more to bring the level back up to 2 or 3 ppm and start testing for nitrite as well as ammonia.

Carry on adding and testing until both ammonia and nitrite are reading zero, twelve hours after adding the ammonia.

nice...thank for your help fluttermoth...im of to get a syringe...if i get stuck I'll let you guys know...hopefully i do ok

Between 3 and 4 mls :)

Using the calculator at the top of the forum:

Screen shot 2013-05-25 at 10.18.34 AM.png

I don't know the exact concentration of your ammonia solution.  Be sure to update the table with the concentration mentioned on your bottle.

its kleen off household ammonia...i tried using the calculator ...but i dont understand the readding...my tank is 90cm x 30cm x 45cm ....please if anyonecan tell me how much ammonia for this tank ...and also my masterkit is not here yet..i think it's delayed till next week.

Yes, your tank is 120l, and you need between 3 and 4mls of ammonia :)

Add some now, get a head start while you're waiting for your test kits.

ok thanks...i will add some but my kit might take till next week to arrive should be ok right ..so ive been told..

You'll be testing all the time.  I'd suggest that you wait 5 days and then add another 3ml of ammonia, even if the test kit hasn't shown up yet.

Add the right amount of ammonia (you don't want to go mad and let it get too high while you can't test); 3ml would be perfect and you won't need to worry about testing for the first few days/week.

It usually takes longer than that for the cycle to start anyway :good:

ok this is really helpful.. are you guys like marine biologists or somthing or is this common knowledge..i feel so stupid lol

Most of us don't have official qualifications in fishkeeping or biology, no!

We've just read a lot, researched a lot, talked to a lot of other experienced aquarists and helped very many people through successful fishless cycles :)

It'll soon start to make sense to you; it's always confusing when you're just starting to learn about a subject.

tigerchilly said:
ok this is really helpful.. are you guys like marine biologists or somthing or is this common knowledge..i feel so stupid lol

We are experienced aquarists who have been there done that, and helped others through the same issues time and again.  Experience is the best teacher!

And the best part of learning during a fishless cycle - no dead fishys when a mistake is made!

oh ok...i just had to ask coz i feel like im bugging ppl on this forum...i jus dont want any of my new fishes to die thats all..i has four sharks,8mollies and guppies and 6 tiger barbs...and im left with 7mollies and 4 guppies thats it...its soo sad when you have to pick out the dead ones...:'(

I'm confused.  You have fish in the tank right now?!  Or you are cycling a different tank?  :blink:

Most reactions

Back