i need a bit of help

daydreams_uk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
if u can see the picture of my molly just under my name(cant seem to be able to put the pic on this message) what do u think...should i put her in the breeding trap yet? i did earlier today but it seemed to make her really stressed out...she kept trying to bash her way out it seemed, so i took her straight back out. does she look to you that shes ready to drop her fry coz she seems to have been pregnant for ages. i'm rather inexperienced and would really appreciate a bit of info on when to put her in the trap coz i dont want her to miscarry. my black molly had 9 fry in the community tank and 7 survived and are doing really well but ive bought a few more fish since and dont want to take any chances with the new fry about to be born. please help

what i normally do is put a stocking over the trap then the fry dont get out, i would put her in now because if you move her later she could miscarry she will go mad for a bit but she will calm down they tend to go really mad when there giving birth doing summersaults and swimming upside down once she has given birth put back into the tank and leave the stocking on until the fry are big enough, i do this because my angel fish eat the fry and sometimes they suck em through the holes in the trap, it is amazing watching them give birth because you wouldnt beleive that such a small fish could carry a huge amount of babies,
good luck ;)

My platy was so unhappy when we put her in a plastic breeder trap that we went out and bought her a net one, its got much more room to swim and although there is no way to seperate the mother from the fry, there is space to put some plant stems in and moss for the fry to hide in once they are born. She seems much happier in there!

I took her back out of the breeder trap yesterday....i couldnt leave her in there i felt so sorry for her...theres no room for her to move in it. I'm going to let her have the fry in the community tank and then take the fry out and put them in the trap.
I think thats the humane thing to do...i wouldnt like to be cooped in a box so i dont think i should treat my fish that way.......u live and learn

i've never seen a breeding net but most ppl on here seem to use them so i think next time maybe i'll try that.

thanks for replying

hey:)
:whistle: you can put the female which going to breed
in the netting ,the area of the netting should not be made
too large.the mesh must not to be too small or too large..
for the fry can run through the mesh....against be ate by
their parents......
goodluck. :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back