I may sound like a moron but..

kevin007

Hmmm...cories
Reaction score
how do you get albinos? and what's the ratio of albino and not albino? -_-

i don't really get how albino are formed and i have seen albino cories that are not white (not the common ones you see) they just have red eyes with same patterning :unsure:

canarsie11 said:
Albino isnt really white, I thought it just meant lack of natural color

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
but palaetus (sp) are white, sterbai are white, and the common aeneus are white when they are albino version...but why some other species not white when albino? u never see a red eyed pepper cory -_-

and ratio of albino?

kevin007 said:
canarsie11 said:
Albino isnt really white, I thought it just meant lack of natural color

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
but palaetus (sp) are white, sterbai are white, and the common aeneus are white when they are albino version...but why some other species not white when albino? u never see a red eyed pepper cory -_-

and ratio of albino?
Thats what I am saying, even though some fish appear white, different fish have a different fish have different albino looks......

This is one I can field!...I don't know much about fish, but I can explain a little genetics to y'all! lol Anyway, albinism is basically a lack of pigment...and it doesn't always have to be the same pigment, and the animal doesn't always have to have red eyes. Any form albinism is a simple recessive trait which basically means an offspring has to have recieved a copy of the gene from each parent, and what it does is create a faulty protein that will not allow a certain pigment to be produced, in most cases it's black pigmentation (usually melanin). Only ONE pigment is affected, and so the animal will still show all other pigmentation...which is why there are albino snakes that can be white, yellow, and red. My guess is that the cories you have seen have other pigments other than the one affected, and so pattern is produced :)

A pigmentless white phenotype, determined by a mutation in a gene coding for a pigment-synthesizing enzyme, by some defect of organization the melanin which gives color to the skin, hair, and eyes is deficient or in a morbid state.

HTH

As I said in my post before...albinos do NOT have to be white, usually they just don't have black...in snakes there is also a form of albinism in which black coloration remains, but red coloration is absent...or so I've been told. I'm not quite possitive that that is albinism...but I know for a fact that albinos do not need to be white, or have pink/red eyes.

That's only about albino people though...so :p to you too....lol There's only one form of albinism in humans that I'm aware of...but if you look around the rest of the world there's all kinds of albinism...lol In leopard geckos for example, there are 3 separate strains of albinism with slight differences between the three...all are patterned, but have no black, and none always have pink/red eyes. Also...albino horses have blue eyes :)

Well ya boo sucks to you then :p
I'm no expert and don't claim to be
It's just the way I see things. Oh well
back to my danios :whistle:

Most reactions

Back