I finally got a puffer!

missyintx_99

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ok, I know this is the cichlid page but.......
I'm so excited! I've been wanting some puffers for a long time, reading up on them, and finally had a well established tank I could turn into a brackish from fresh. So I went to one of my favorite LFS where the owner won't sell you any fish without making sure you have exactly what is needed to keep them healthy and happy. Well, I guess today was finally the day because I walked out with 3 Leopard Puffers I've had my eye on for a couple of months! They are all eating already, gave them a few bloodworms and then some krill. They *really* love that krill.
I've read that they like snails too. If I put snails in there for them, they will eat all of them, right? I won't have to worry about the tank getting infested with them will I?
Thanks for any tips or advice.
Oh, one more question...... how many times a day should I feed them? I feed my cichlids twice a day. Should they be on the same schedule or just once a day?
Thanks again.

Sorry, had to move it. Not because it's that big of a deal but because like yourself, I know nothing about puffers and want to learn as much as I can.

I'm afraid that people like pufferpack might not look in the cichlid forum, like I don't look in livebearers, and your questions might not be answered and we'd both miss out on learning here. :)

No problem SMB. I had meant to post a quick guess what I got in the Cichlid page and then post my questions here but got distracted by the kids. I've been reading some of pufferpack's responses and she seems very knowledgable about them I really look forward to hearing from her.
Have you had any luck finding some yet? Our local Petsmart carries the Dwarves regularly but I didn't like those as much as I like the Leopard Spots. They are so cool! I really hope you can get some soon, I know you'll absolutely love them!

I have a dwarf puffer, so I'll try to help you out as much as possible... :lol:

Puffers do need snails, or any other kind of crustacean in order to keep their "beak" trimmed down. But if they're brackish puffers, I'm not sure how snails would do with salt in the water. (I don't know anything about snails though, so they might like salt just fine). lol But if snails do do alright in BW, you'll never have to worry about infestation. You might even have to go to lfs and see if they'll give you some. My little 1 inch dwarf puffer can eat 10-15 in one day, and some are as big ( or bigger) than her. She's a real monster. lol

I feed mine four times a day. They are pretty small amounts, but it keeps her full and happy, and that way she still has to "hunt" the snails.

I think Leopard puffers have a reputation for being semi- to very aggressive ( I don't know if you have or are planning on getting tank mates for them). I'm not sure about Leopard puffers, but I think alot of people suggest keeping them in a species tank. Hope this helps.

No problem SMB. I had meant to post a quick guess what I got in the Cichlid page and then post my questions here but got distracted by the kids.
LOL, I can understand how that is. Like I said, it's ok you posted in cichlids, I only moved it to help you out more is all. :)

I've been reading some of pufferpack's responses and she seems very knowledgable about them I really look forward to hearing from her.

She's a he. :)

Have you had any luck finding some yet?
No, not yet. :(

I did happen to get my red tail black shark today tho. :) One of my fav alltime fish.

Looks like dixaisy930 has some good knowledge to help you out also. I guess we have another puffer person to learn from. I know I appreciate it as I want to learn as much about these cuties as possible.

Do you have any pics you can show us, missyintx_99? I can't wait to see them. :)

I'm not sure how snails would do with salt in the water.

Snails don't like salt, but thank you so much for all the rest of that great info you posted. I, for one, know nothing about puffers and appreciate any info possible as I want to get them also. missyintx_99 just beat me to it. OK, well I let her beat me to it so I can bug her with all my questions. :D

Just j/k missy. :lol:

Hey, its all good smb! You'll get some puffers soon! I have my fingers crossed for you. :thumbs:
I said: Have you had any luck finding some yet?

SMB said:No, not yet.

I did happen to get my red tail black shark today tho. One of my fav alltime fish.
Thats great! They are really awesome looking fish too! Congrats on the find :)

I said: I've been reading some of pufferpack's responses and she seems very knowledgable about them I really look forward to hearing from her.

SMB said: She's a he.

OOPPPSSSS!!!!!! And my apologies to pufferpack for my error in assuming you were a chick, no offense taken I hope! :*)

And dixaisy930, thanks for the info. Any advice/guidance you can give is immensely appreciated! :hooray: :-

Well, the only bit of info I think I left out was that mine LOVE frozen brine shrimp. She also liked the live too, but it's hard for me to find. Mine isn't crazy about bloodworms.

As you have probably already found out, they are real entertaining and are very interesting. Mine is fearless. If I have my hand in the tank for whatever reason, she's right over there, checking me out, and nibbling on me. lol

Hi missyintx_99...Congrats on getting the new Puffers, sounds like they are healthy and happy :thumbs: ...what size tank are they in?

I've read that they like snails too. If I put snails in there for them, they will eat all of them, right? I won't have to worry about the tank getting infested with them will I?
dixaisy930 is right, all puffers need hard shells to keep their teeth (really 4 bony plates) ground down, if you choose snails you can keep them in a bucket of FW until you feed them to the puffers....and having FW puffers I would kill for a snail infestation in all our tanks...the lfs is getting sick of digging pond snails out of the sump and the plant tanks for me :lol: :lol:
You can also look at using cockles and muscles in the shell for them, make them work for supper :D , shrimp aren't as crunchy but are a treat for them...pretty much any seafood you would eat except fish, some of the lfs around here give their puffers small crayfish and crabs....but you have to be careful the crabs/crayfish don't take a chunk out of the puffers :crazy:

how many times a day should I feed them? I feed my cichlids twice a day. Should they be on the same schedule or just once a day?

I feed my Dwarfs and South Americans twice a day, I've read that others feed every 2 days :/ ...I think that as long as your puffers are not showing shrunken bellies, but look pleasently plump most times, they are fine with whatever schedule you choose....I judge how much to feed each time by how fat they are looking, less at night when they expend less energy, and more for breakfast....If they look skinny at night I'll feed a bit more. :rolleyes:

I think Leopard puffers have a reputation for being semi- to very aggressive ( I don't know if you have or are planning on getting tank mates for them). I'm not sure about Leopard puffers, but I think alot of people suggest keeping them in a species tank
Like all puffers they can range from sociable to psycho, wuss to mass murderer...species tanks are usually recomended, but if you do plan to get tankmates stay away from aggressive ones, they will likely not survive (might want to stay away from expensive ones as well :lol: )

OOPPPSSSS!!!!!! And my apologies to pufferpack for my error in assuming you were a chick, no offense taken I hope!

:lol: :lol: ...if you ever saw me in a skirt you'd never make that mistake again :lol: :lol: :lol: ...no problem.

If you want more info on your little blue eyed cuties search under Tetraodon nigroviridis

HTH

...p.s. They may rip apart any live plants you have....not eating, just hunting :X

Right now they are in my little 2g tank but as soon as I get the bigger tank for my Jaguar cichlid they will be moving into the 20g (this will be sometime in the next month). I've set up 3 little 'caves' for them using the nipple covers for baby bottles and piled up some rocks and gravel around them. There will be no other tank mates for them, just my 3 babies. Right now I'm feeding them freeze-dried bloodworms and krill and frozen brine shrimp. I'm planning to go to my supermarket's fresh fish section and see what I can get for them in the shell.
How often do they need hard-shell fish? I'm thinking maybe once or twice a week.

They are so adorable and seem to have just as much personality as my Oscar, Green Terror and Severums. I love how inquisitive they are and how active they are. I can't wait to get them into the bigger tank!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with me. I want to keep these little guys as happy and healthy as possible! BTW, What is their average life span?
Also, I've read conflicting info that they grow to 3" some places and 6" others. In your experience, how big should I actually expect them to get?
Thanks again, Pufferpack! Hope I don't drive you nuts with all the questions! :crazy:

Well, one of the puffers died. I don't have a clue as to why. There was no discoloration and no visible injuries.
And the plan to move them into the 20 has changed. They are moving into a 10g I have cycling now.
I'm going to call the LFS I got them from and see if he has anymore in. If he does I want to move the 2 I still have with the 3rd one into the new tank at the same time. Guess we'll see what happens.

Sorry for your loss :sad:

You can expect them to reach a max of about 6 inches but I believe they average about 4 1/2. Being in a 2 gal the little guy may have been bullied to death, without actually getting bit. The GSP's are very active and territorial and a 20 gal would be too small for 2, usually a 29 gal is recomended for a single puffer, but if well designed you might be Ok with 2, 3 would be pushing your luck IMO. They will probably outgrow the 10 gal tank in a couple of months and then you can expect trouble to start :crazy: If kept in the optimum conditions they can live for 15 + years.

Most reactions

Back