Hydra. Do I Need To Worry?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

This guy is fine with shrimp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ2Mmz0ka2A

I actually tried some ghost shrimp once but didn't have food for them because I bought they'd eat the "algae" in my tank. Well...it was cyanobacteria. I had five of them and they all died with in a week. I'm not sure if it was because of the lack of food or if Aidan did them in. When I was watching after putting them in the tank, he did flare at them and was very curious, but I never saw him pick at them. He didn't seem to try to eat them either. I just found them white and not moving. They lasted a week and that was it.

Now...are cherry shrimp ok to keep in somewhat hard water? I read someone say recently that shrimp have a hard time molting in hard water. My ph is 8.2, can't remember the Gh and Kh at the moment. Same with the khullis. I'd love to have some of those but not if they aren't fairly adaptable. My water may be just a bit too much.

Now...are cherry shrimp ok to keep in somewhat hard water?
No not really, If the water is too hard they have trouble molting or cant molt and they die.

Kuhlis are the same they prefer soft water. I am blessed with a PH of 7 from the tap.

Thanks Nick, that's what I thought. He may just live by himself with his snail friends anyway. Lol. It was kind of funny though when I put him in this 10 gallon to redo his 5...i have it set up for plecos, including some slate caves. He seemed to take a liking to those! Lol. I may have to give him one eventually...it was funny seeing his head poking out of the dark!

I think I've beat the Hydra!! I basically poured half a 32oz bottle of hydrogen peroxide in the tank and it sat there for two days. Did a 90%-95% water change(lost suction and couldn't get it back...lol) and also dumped and cleaned the filter and tubes with the peroxide too. I did put a bunch of carbon in the tank as well and it's been almost a week I think? I haven't put Aidan back in the tank yet. I have been keeping an eye on the tank just the same though. I believe my crypts are melting...thin and wimpy looking now. Should I go ahead and trim these and hope they come back?? Here is a picture.

IMG_20160729_111749.jpg

IMG_20160729_111819.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Ps- if I do eventually try to add anything else when he upgrades to a 10 gallon...i think I'll try more ghost shrimp though in a larger number(15 maybe??). Seems like they like slightly harder water so maybe it will be ok. And they aren't expensive in case it doesn't work. Other than that i don't think there is really anything else to put in there.

Most reactions

Back