Hydor Eth 300 300w External Thermal Heater, Failed, Leaking And Making

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TRAGICTRAMP

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Sat down tonight watching my tank, and suddenly heard a pop type noise, checked the filter (ex1200) as i had changed the basket orientation earlier, and then the filter started to make noise as if air was in the system, then checked the inline heater and found that it was leaking, as i moved it to see where the leak was coming from it started making an alarm kind of buzzing/vibrating noise, its less than 4 months old and i bought it from aquacadabra on ebay as a new item,

my questions are,

Is it common for this inline heater to fail?, even if it only failed heating i wouldnt be so worried but it would have caused major damage to flooring as well as killing all my livestock.

Anyone know what aquacadabra are like in regards to faulty items?

cheers

oh and im running a miniture 25w heater overnight till i can buy something a bit more powerful
Dunno.gif

Sat down tonight watching my tank, and suddenly heard a pop type noise, checked the filter (ex1200) as i had changed the basket orientation earlier, and then the filter started to make noise as if air was in the system, then checked the inline heater and found that it was leaking, as i moved it to see where the leak was coming from it started making an alarm kind of buzzing/vibrating noise, its less than 4 months old and i bought it from aquacadabra on ebay as a new item,

my questions are,

Is it common for this inline heater to fail?, even if it only failed heating i wouldnt be so worried but it would have caused major damage to flooring as well as killing all my livestock.

Anyone know what aquacadabra are like in regards to faulty items?

cheers

oh and im running a miniture 25w heater overnight till i can buy something a bit more powerful
Dunno.gif

I've not really known them to fail, Hydo are pretty hardcore fo there powerheads. I've heard people not hanging them right and causing them to break. Where is the leaking coming from, The unit itself or around the links where the hoses attach.

the leak appeared to come from the seam holding it together rather than anything to do with the hoses or connection.

the leak appeared to come from the seam holding it together rather than anything to do with the hoses or connection.

Have you called the oompany to ask? You might get a free replacement.

I just sent them a message on ebay as i bought it through their store on their, so just waiting for a response which will no doubt be after xmas.

okay i had my hydor alarming when i cleaned it out but forgot it wasn't water proof when i turned it on it also buzzed but after a few weeks or letting it dry out naturally it now works fully, if you can dry it out really well, take note of the red wire sticking into some white stuff and i think thats the heat sensor, when you pull it apart, my bet is when you have moved your canister it's not the heater thats failed but the connector on top of the heater and the water has run down into the heater as they are not water proof :p, annoying design but hey, it dosn't take much to open it up all it is is a tube with a few wires going to a heat element, with two rubber peices at the end, and the plastic outer casing from what i remember give it ago wont take long and may fix it, give it a good clean too if you can, will help it heat the water quicker in future too and may if the heater was leaking clear the leak :)

hope this has helped got more questions il try to answer them

P.S. turn the heater and unplug from wall before you do this :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back