Hybrid Livebearers

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Balloons&killies

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,
Ive read other discussion on how to breed them with a male guppy and female molly. but would it actually work ???

And could a guppy breed with a platy because in my tank i have 1 male guppy and a female swirdtail play?????

Mikalia theres some pics on google of them!

Any way ya i really want to try to make a hybrid of them. i just need a little more info....

and im really confused can they maybe produce offspring because there some sites that ive been on and they said yes but others say no so ya lol.
any ideas????

It comes down to latin names. The names adhere to a system, one can tell how closely two species are related by there names. As far as we are concerned only genus and species names are used. Though there are exceptions, in order for two species to hybridize sucessfully they must have the same genus name.

platy-Xiphphorus variatus
swordtail-Xiphophorus Helleri
molly- Poecilia sphenops
guppy- Poecilia reticulata

Guppy x Platy will not work. You can attempt it, but honestly you are wasting your time. Its about as possible as crossing a dog and cat. Also just because they have the same genus name does not mean they can hybridize. Some may only be able to hybridize artificially, other may have genetic issues. It usually comes down to number of chromosomes, guppies and mollies have 23 + X &Y chromosomes. Platies I believe have an extra chromosome. These are our genetic blueprints, if they don't line up they cannot combine into an new individual.

If you found some pics please link them.

http://www.hippocampus-bildarchiv.de/images/S65145_Poecilia_HYBRIDE.jpg

http://www.eth.pt/imagens/mollyguppyhybrid.gif

http://www.fishesninverts.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/mohanasundaram/hybrid_of_guppy_and_molly.jpg

Those are some pics of them that i found. Just like saying if the guppy and the molly cross bred. would there offspring be able to reproduce????
Like a slite chance???

For molly/guppy crosses which are possible and proven, the offspring I would expect to be sterile. This is common with hybrids. Mules are a good example. I simple say this because it is more common for hybrids to be sterile than not. However this is often a genetic trait as well, most likely they will all be sterile or there is a chance most of them won't. The flowerhorn is a good example of a hybrid that is usually not sterile, with the blood parrot is sterile.

The fish will try to breed though, I doubt anything will come of it.

To through a monkey wrench in there I'm pretty sure swordtail/platy hybrids are not sterile. As hybridizing them to create new lines is common in the hobby. The swordtail showed the color morph "red wag" first, it was crossed with some platies then they hybrids were bred back to platies for a could generations selecting for the red wag coloring. The result is a fish that is that we consider a platy, however it will still carry some swordtail genes. The mickey mouse pattern first started on the platy and the opposite was done to create the mickey mouse swordtail.

I would still stick with guppy/molly hybrids being sterile. If they were not the fish farms would of hybridized them already into new color morphs and ect.

Livebearers can select the sperm they use for breeding.
If a different species tries to breed the females will usually reject them and use sperm from a male from their own species.

You should always use virgin females to ensure the fry are 100% from the male.
Other wise you can never be 100% sure.

Not all crosses are sterile, but generally fish from different genesis are sterile or impossible to cross.
However most crosses are very weak and difficult to rear.

AdrianHD developed the fish below
picture_817_764.jpg

Hi,
Sorry i didnt reply for awhile... :lol:

Anyway would like i have to get a virgin female molly?
(that would be hard lol)

its quite easy to be honest.

Rear fry on their own.
As soon u spot a male developing remove him.

This way you should get somewhere of 50% females all virgin

Easy

Mollies can easily start to sex out from 2-3 months old, but some males will take over 8 months to fully mature.
This is the hard part, so once the fry are a year old then you can be sure they are 100% virgin mollies.

Yes guppies can cross with mollies but getting fry is difficult and rearing them is even harder.

If you have a year or two to dedicate to this project then it's worth a try doing regular note takeing and getting as many photo's as possible is good as many people will not believe them.
Personally i dont like crossing species but i dont knock people down for trying as more data we collect the better we can say how species are related.

i have got a molly cross guppy soon i will show you the picture

:good: good luck.

it'll be hard :lol: if you was in the UK i would of brought some of the fry xD

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back