Hybrid Cories?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Akasha72 said:
see ... nobody tells you that panda cories can breed with other types of cory. It's a bit like nobody telling new dog owners that chocolate is poisonous. If nobody tells you something you don't know and you make the mistakes and you learn something new. It's just a shame that that is to the detriment to an animal

I'm going to disagree with you there.  The research is the responsibility of the pet owner.  I recently got a puppy.  The first thing I did was research common 'human' foods that are poisonous to dogs.  I found out that Avocados are poisonous to dogs as they contain the same chemical as onions and the rest of the lily family that causes them trouble.  So, now I have to be careful about where the pup is when I get out my guacamole.  

the worst thing for dogs is grapes (and the raisins they turn into) my brothers dog once found the xmas cake while he was out and ate the whole thing. When he got home she was on the ground barely alive. She spent two full days at the vet on various drips and only just survived.

It was after this that I finally did my research (my dog was just a pup then and she was my first dog. I knew about the chocolate but not the grapes) and came up with some confusion. I read that they shouldn't have potatoes but I'd seen dog food in the pet store that contained potatoes! 

To my mind, when you take your puppy for it's first health check that's the point that the vet should give you proper information on what they can have and can't have. The internet is full of lies and I don't trust it

I've just made a post on planet catfish about these cories. I've done a water change today and their dorsal's are now turning mid grey with black edges and lines running through - same as the little on in my main tank and they are the same size. I'm still wondering if this has something to do with the pH crash. The guys at PC are probably better placed to answer that

Akasha72 said:
To my mind, when you take your puppy for it's first health check that's the point that the vet should give you proper information on what they can have and can't have. The internet is full of lies and I don't trust it

Exactly the same applies for fishkeeping, it is up to the indivdual to research what is safe and what is not.

If you do not trust the internet for grains of truth then you will miss out, simple as that, its determing what is good information with what is bad thus then you can avoid those sites which are not good with their advice, not easy but they are out there. This forum is one such good site ;)

Akasha72 said:

The internet is also full of actual FACTS.  And it is the job of the individual to learn how to properly vet the information and determine the credibility of the source.

I didn't mean it like that! I meant it in terms of - going online to research a pain in your back and it telling you your dying of cancer of something! There are some good things online, some really useful info but you've often gotta wade through a lot of crap to find the good info and it's determining what's rubbish and what's not that's the difficult part.

In terms of looking after my dog I trust my vet but I take what I read online with a pinch of salt. The same when it comes to my own health - I'm not going to trust the internet to tell me what's good for me or to diagnose an illness - I'm gonna trust my G.P for that!

Corydoras (and all fish really) can change their colour quite significantly when stressed, sick, due to water paramaters, temperature and on occasion a whim. With your little corys changing colour I am willing to bet its something to do with the water changes. Either the pH is changing or they are getting stressed by the water change process. Some of my fish adore the water change process and come out to play and nose about in the stired up water, while others take to hiding in the furtherest corner waiting for the invasion to be over, then come out again as happy as Larry to cruise the tank once more.

With regards to reseach, I guess I am going to show my age here....
But I always purchased a book related to the subject I was researching before leaping in and getting that particular animal or plant. Mostly because as a kid computers where not household items (and even when more people where getting them at home my parents refused to fork out that sort of money), the internet was interwhat? So it was talk to people with experience or find books to point me in the right direction. Even to this day I have books that reach back to my childhood and published/ copy righted before I was even born e.g 1969, but much of the information is still good and relevant. As a kid I often had friends that where actually old retirees that I had got to know through the bird world, these old timers often had a wealth of old remedies that did work for certain ailments that to this day more modern keepers are struggling to cure. For example Sour Crop in birds is lethal if not treated, but a simple remedy I heard of was to put a tiny speck of Condies Crystals (Potassium permanganate) in the birds water. Just enough to turn the water a very pale pink.
From watching animal/ pet related shows I filed away useful tidbits of information, like drugging cats/ dogs (always with prescribed suitable drug acquired from a vet) to make them drousey/ sleepy for travel on airlines. Instead of using the drug for travel, I have used the same drug to pacify a cat in order that it could be shaved to help it through our HOT humid summer. It was pet shows that also I think first alerted me to household dangers for our pets, chocolate, certain indoor plants, onion, tefflon burning off cooking utensils making a harmful gas that can kill birds.
The long and the short we are surrounded by information be it right or wrong and it is up to the individual to wade through the mis-information and retain the correct and then we can use the internet as it had always been intended to help spread the correct information.

I'm here with a couple of new photo's ... one of the three is showing real signs of change

001_zpsiertjwpd.jpg

006_zpsrf8zmpwy.jpg

thoughts ?

Is it a trick of the light or does the one that looks most like a panda really have that much of a white line on its dorsal fin?
The other two I am thinking most likely panda x smudge spot. I have been looking at my smudge spots closely and I have not seen even a ghost of a hint of any sort of eye spot/ marking. Also the darkening of the dorsal fin does not appear on mine. But I will point out that with the 4 smudge spots I got 2 are quite different to the other two with regards to the amount of smudge and goldening of the body.
I am also just wondering if the potential hybrids would be a bit paler in colour if they where on white sand. I am not suggesting to race out and swap the sand, its just that I know substrates can really encourage fish to darken or lighten their colour quite drastically. With a light substrate the possible hybrids might show more defined colour or pattern.
Also after looking at other photos of panda corys, many of them do appear to have very faint spotting just behind the head and what looks like faint barring running vertically along the body.
I also found some rather dark pandas that of course could also be the results of cross breeding but it does give some idea on the possible natural variations in pandas in general.
http://aquariumfish.net/images_01/panda_corydoras_130516a3_w0640.jpg
http://bubblesaquarium.com/images/Fish/Corydoras/Cory_Panda_Corydoras.jpg
http://www.hessler-markus.de/Bilder/Corydoras_panda5.jpg

I have an adult female panda with some dark lines down her body as you describe and a male with it too - it's possible they could be the parents of the 'odd' 3. Out of all 6 of my adult panda's there is some slight variation in colours from paler black area's to these barring lines to white-ish edges on fins

As to the white edge on the smallest baby - it's a trick of the light. There's no white edge in real life. 

I'm now going to try and catch the baby that is in my main tank that's showing the same characteristics as 'the three' so all four can go and live with my Dad. 

I wouldn't worry too much about your corys going to live in a tank with gravel. When I first started with fish, gravel was the norm and all my corydora where living on it, the main thing was the gravel was nice smooth rounded river gravel.
Good luck catching the other corydora, I know what a chore it can be to get the little devils out of a planted tank, it normally entails catching every other fish in the tank, removing all possible hidey-holes and plants and then determined hunting.
If you can keep us updated on any further patterning/ marking developments once the fish live with your Dad it will come in handy for future reference.

Dad's gravel is smooth and rounded so they will be fine. I'll keep things updated :)

don't panic I'm not back for good just to update this with some useful information.

The hybrid smudge-spot - panda's went to live with my Dad. I gave him 4, only two made it to adulthood. Before Xmas he had two eggs on the glass but they'd disappeared by evening so we suspected his tetra's ate them.
Last night he rang to say he'd just spotted a baby cory - about half an inch in size.

Useful info is - hybrid cories can survive to adulthood. Hybrid cories can breed. Hybrid eggs can hatch and produce young.

Dad now has some Julii cories too. We're now waiting to see if he's gonna end up with smudge-spot - panda - julii hybrids too

Hey long time no see, how you going?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back