(humorously) Agressive Pearl Gourami

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Ragtatter

Reaction score
Heh, nothing serious and I don't need any help, but I thought you guys might get a kick out of this. Today I was introducing another female Pearl Gourami to my tank, so I took the male out and rearranged the existing (plastic) plants, as well as adding a new one I bought the other day. I figured that if I changed his world around a little bit, he wouldn't be very territorial towards the new female. I also did a 25% water change, since I was messing with the tank anyway.

Well, I waited about half an hour and let him back into the tank, and he immediately got psycho-aggressive. . . towards the new plant.

He's been biting at the leaves, trying to pull at it, digging it up, etc., and he kept it up nonstop for about four hours until I finally took it out. I even tried bloodworms to distract him from it, and he completely ignored them (the zebra danios happily devoured his share of them).

^_^ The good news is, he's not bothering the new female any. He apparently was too disgusted by my decorating tastes to care that I'd added a new fish.

Has anyone else ever had a gourami disagree with a new decoration like this before?

:fish:

No ... my males don't seem to notice the decor ... fairly typical males really .......

I was in the same postion as you ... having two males accidentally ... after both I, and the lfs assistant, thought one of them was female. I searched around until I found a very large female pearl to put in with them (took ages to find her) and for the first day or so ... she was the boss. The boys just sidled up and displayed to her.

Now though, things are back to normal. They chase her when they catch sight of her.

Most reactions

Back