Html Code

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

And yes the above could be done with css in the tags themselves but it makes sense to be in the head of the doc in case it gets reused elsewhere in the page...

I was never suggesting you put it in the tags themselves :sick: no thanks. All my style sheets are external, keeps the page nice and tidy that way. I also format big sites with .ASP not .htm or .html as it allows me to use includes.

But anyways, here is the code for including a seperate style sheet...
Code:
<link href="yourcssfilename.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
You stick it imbetween the head tags and hey presto, job done. You apply the styles as you would normally as those it were physically in the head tag.

But what about IE6.....and yes I do know how to use stylesheets
laugh.gif
I am a senior developer of 10 years, mostly working with asp.net 2 (c#/vb) and Java/EJB/Spring.

I still think JS is the way to go unless the site is willing to ignore IE6 browser support or it's such a time that no-one uses it anymore. I think IE6 could be handled somehow but it would probably come back to JS being required again. The multitude of browsers out there still have varying requirements even though they should all follow the guidance set out by W3C (http://www.w3.org/standards/)...

Now if we had the ability to use Ajax and .net then the javascript/css content would be handled quite nicely for whatever the client may be
good.gif

edit: I'll shut-up now, and we'll leave it up to BigC to decide which options he wants to go for, I can go on, I'm such a geek, you'd think it would wear off after that many years but the tech keeps changing and still keeps me leanring all the time. If you decide to do any enterprise programming take a look at Spring (java/.net etc), it's the mutts nuts
good.gif

The sooner ie6 dies the better really. Personally I could live without ie altogether but if people could at least upgrade their free software that'd be nice.

The sooner ie6 dies the better really. Personally I could live without ie altogether but if people could at least upgrade their free software that'd be nice.

Tell me about it, it's always the exception to the rule you have to deal with when developing new public facing solutions, it makes for messy and fragmented code...
Lucky most corporations have moved on so for intranet solutions it can be forgotten about for the most part. I've still yet to convince any companies I've worked for to move away from any version of IE though (they all have thier flaws). I'm a google chrome user these days (on Linux, I don't have Windows installed), the javascript engine is super fast and the extensions available are getting better all the time.

For info, I had a look at BigC's web page and the content requiring drop downs is a table with a LOT of cells in it, each with a requirement for it's own drop down....the js method was too messy for that so he now have a CSS solution for it that needs finishing off, along with the suggestion he puts a "IE6 not supported" message somewhere on the site
good.gif

Yeah, I don't do a lot of web stuff, mainly favours for friends. It took me ages to get my head round CSS. I took a big break from anything web or code related so I was still stuck thinking in tables. Thankfully I'd figured out that I hated frames already but CSS took some learning to basically wipe everything I already knew. Then you find out that lots of people are still using a browser which LIKES the old ways of doing things.

I think chrome is one of the few I don't regularly use. I'll only open it up if someone reports an issue in that browser. I'm happy with my safari setup for most uses. But have a few others installed.

What Linux distro do you use? Personally on my machines I have ubuntu, gOS, mac osx tiger, vista and windows 7. But I've used red hat too which I found was fairly fast and responsive.

Linux distro's I've used since 1997 (in order): Slackware (2), Redhat (4/5), Mandrake (6/7 I think? Now called Mandriva), Gentoo (too much hard work compiling everything!), SuSE (?), Slackware (10), VectorLinux, Ubuntu (Gutsy to Intrepid) and Arch Linux since Oct 09

I think I'll be sticking with Arch Linux for ever more, it is fantastic...takes a little while to setup (not like Ubuntu, everything is more manual to define) but it's extremely customisable. I guess you could think of it as half way between Gentoo (hardcore) and Ubuntu (user friendly). It can be extremely fast but it does depend on what you set it up as, I run gnome (same as default Ubuntu) and it is so much quicker than other distros IMHO. The best thing about it though is the rolling release process, no nightmare updates! I update frequently and in small amounts, no 6 month release cycle at all, I got fed up with Ubuntu breaking on a version upgrade and now just run Ubu in a VM for community package builds etc...

To see what sort of stuff I mess with for the community have a look for my threads on ubuntuforums.org, same username as here, I like playing with the Python language and support quite a few conky scripts that use it. Quite the userbase these days, especially using my forecast and music player scripts.

Told you I was a geek
laugh.gif

my current desktop (only 2 monitors):

Ooh, looks like a contender to replace ubuntu. I already have the simple thing down with gOS. Cheers.

Most reactions

Back