How to tell if you have over stocked my tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Maloney112

Reaction score
Just wondering if I have overstocked my tank I have the following fish.

Guppies. 10
Balloon mollies. 4
Betta. 1
Paki loach 3
Black Knife fish. 1
Neon tetra 6
Pleco 2
Penguin tetra 8

120 litre tank
All seem to be fine no problems ammonia is at 1 but doing weekly water changes. Ph 7.2

Thanks for any help

Simple answer.... Yes you have serious stocking issues.

Live bearers like Guppies and Mollies must have hard water or they will suffer and die.

Pakistan Loaches aka YoYo loaches need to be kept in groups of 6 or more they need soft water and will grow too big for your tank.

Black ghost knife, These fish grow to about 2 feet in length, they need a tank thats at least 8 foot long by 3 feet deep by 3 feet wide,

What sort of Plecos are they?

I feel sorry for the poor Betta he will be stressed to no end living in that tank.

Neon Tetras prefer soft water.

What sort of water do you have? is it soft or hard?
Is your tank cycled?

All seem to be fine no problems ammonia is at 1
That ammonia level is toxic and will kill your fish, the only safe level is zero, you need to do some water changes right away, 60% minimum today and everyday from now on testing your water for ammonia till your tank cycles.

Last edited:
Agree with Nick, you are very overstocked and the ammonia will/is making the fish ill.

If you were to return the knife fish, mollies, loach, guppies and maybe the plecos (depends on species) then you could fill the tank with more appropriate fish that match your water parameters and tank size.

Are there any live plants? I'm relatively new to the hobby but these folks are right. At least the fish are compatible and are still small enough to be rehoused or returned. Can we get a photo?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back