how to set up for Cories

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ftbetta

Reaction score
I have previously had a 5G tank with a betta in it, but after some problems with the tank and that fish passed, I was advised to take everything out of the tank and start over so that I wasn't carrying any bacteria or other unwanted things to the next fish. Since I was cleaning everything out anyway, I decided to upgrade to a 10G tank. I am in the process of cycling it (very early, well OK I put water in the tank and dechlorinated it) and since I'm starting everything new and we want to get some cory catfish this time, I might as well set up the tank so it is idea to them.

As far as substrate, I think the general consensus it that cories typically enjoy sand (the play sand variety) over gravel because the can dig/bury in it? Also because it is easier for live plants? which catfish like? I'm not working on the plants right now, but since I'm considering it I don't want to set up the tank and then have to alter the substrate a month into it because I want to add plants, and would rather just pick the right thing now.

Also, even though we are far from actually purchasing fish, I know that cories like to school and so you need at least 5-6. There are several different colors/breeds/varieties, will the different colors school happily together? or do you need to get all the same color for them to be happy?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Definitely sand for the substrate with cories, and play sand is my preference because it is very smooth and they can sift it through their gills without damage, and it looks authentic, and it is very inexpensive. Plants grow very well in sand. I now have play sand in all my 8 tanks, wouldn't consider anything else. It needs a lot of rinsing to get most of the dirt out, but I tend to not worry much about this; dirt will settle down and not harm anything.

Cories are shoaling fish, and highly social, so the more the better. Five or six is minimum. A 10g is not a lot of space, but this will work with a group of 6-7 cories. There are the dwarf species, which are more demanding of water parameters. If you could indicate the GH (hardness) and pH of your source water we might be able to sort this out.

It is always best to have more of the species, but having said that, most species will shoal around with other species. Some are more inclined to remain together--panda cory is one of these. I have some 50 cories representing 12 species in my 70g, and I see a lot of mixed species "play" with several species, much less with others. As space is limited here, I would probably suggest either a group of one species (6-7) or a group of two species with 3-4 of each. It depends upon the species, and your water parameters.

Byron.

our water tends to have a pH around 7, GH around 150ppm and the KH around 60ppm.

will be working on the process of cleaning and adding sand tonight!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back