How to make infusoria in home?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aniket

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I tried 3 times but water looks green and stay green and it smells very bad.
I put some cabbage leafs in one bottle, banana peel in other plastic bottle with hot water and after cooling it i add aquarium water and i put it in direct sunlight but after 1 week it turns green and after 2nd week it still looks green with very bad odour.
Will betta fry survive on egg yolk?

The safest and best way to create infusoria is with dried leaves. I use oak and maple collected in my back yard where I know they are free of any chemicals and pesticides, beech also works (generally any hard wood leaf with some exceptions) and you can buy almond leaves in some fish stores. You can collect leaves in autumn from any safe location; only collect completely dead and dry leaves that have naturally fallen from the tree. Rinse them, and make sure they are free of bird droppings.

The amount of infusoria produced by dried leaves is significant. One proof is that no matter the species, fry raised in tanks containing dried leaves always grow faster and are healthier according to scientific studies. The infusoria is the ideal food source, but there many well be good bacterial properties in the leaves as well. Some fish dealers put leaves in shipping bags with fish for this reason.

Pouring any organic sludge mix into a tank with fish is dangerous at best.

The safest and best way to create infusoria is with dried leaves. I use oak and maple collected in my back yard where I know they are free of any chemicals and pesticides, beech also works (generally any hard wood leaf with some exceptions) and you can buy almond leaves in some fish stores. You can collect leaves in autumn from any safe location; only collect completely dead and dry leaves that have naturally fallen from the tree. Rinse them, and make sure they are free of bird droppings.

The amount of infusoria produced by dried leaves is significant. One proof is that no matter the species, fry raised in tanks containing dried leaves always grow faster and are healthier according to scientific studies. The infusoria is the ideal food source, but there many well be good bacterial properties in the leaves as well. Some fish dealers put leaves in shipping bags with fish for this reason.

Are you talking about indian almond leaf?

Ill try tgis one . Thank you

Yes Betta fry and virtually all freshwater fish fry can live on egg yolk for the first few weeks of life.

Hard boil an egg. Peel the shell off and remove the white part of the egg. Take the yellow yolk and push the yolk through a handkerchief into a small container of clean water. Put the lid on the container and shake it up. Then use an eye dropper and suck some of the egg yolk and water up and feed it to the fry. Do this 3-5 times per day.
Keep this mixture in the fridge.

Boil another egg and make a new mixture each day. :)

------------------------
Byron uses Oak leaves and Maple leaves for his infusoria cultures but you can use any type of non toxic plant leaves, including Indian Almond leaves.

In the link I provided about breeding fish it tells you the most common plants used to make infusoria. These include lettuce, spinach, cabbage, silverbeet, broccoli, sliced apple and apple peel, sliced banana and banana peel, lawn clippings, wheat or oat hay, plant leaves from any non toxic plants.

The only plants you can't use are poisonous plants and plants that produce a white sap when the leaves get picked or broken. And avoid citrus (lemon, lime, oranges, mandarin) and citrus peel, onions, spring onions, leeks, shallots, garlic and potatoe.

Last edited:
Yes Betta fry and virtually all freshwater fish fry can live on egg yolk for the first few weeks of life.

Hard boil an egg. Peel the shell off and remove the white part of the egg. Take the yellow yolk and push the yolk through a handkerchief into a small container of clean water. Put the lid on the container and shake it up. Then use an eye dropper and suck some of the egg yolk and water up and feed it to the fry. Do this 3-5 times per day.

------------------------
Byron uses Oak leaves and Maple leaves for his infusoria cultures but you can use any type of non toxic plant leaves, including Indian Almond leaves.

In the link I provided about breeding fish it tells you the most common plants used to make infusoria. These include lettuce, spinach, cabbage, silverbeet, broccoli, sliced apple and apple peel, sliced banana and banana peel, lawn clippings, wheat or oat hay, plant leaves from any non toxic plants.

The only plants you can't use are poisonous plants and plants that produce a white sap when the leaves get picked or broken. And avoid citrus (lemon, lime, oranges, mandarin) and citrus peel, onions, spring onions, leeks, shallots, garlic and potatoe.
Thank you very much

------------------------

I think making infusoria takes long time

It normally takes 2-4 weeks to get an infusoria culture going. The first 2 weeks is where the bacteria grow and feed on the rotting plant leaves. Then it takes a couple more weeks for the infusoria to grow and build up in numbers.

The infusoria eat the bacteria, and the bacteria eat the rotting plant leaves.

Once a culture is established, you add a handful of leaves each day to keep the bacteria growing and this keeps the infusoria growing.

If you cut or crush the leaves up, they break down faster and the culture will develop quicker. And aerating the culture also helps it grow faster and stops it smelling bad.

Most reactions

trending

Back