How to keep tank cycled for new arrivals

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

WiccaFish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm getting fish delivered this Saturday and my quarantine tank is officially cycled. Is there anything I need to do between now and Saturday to make sure the tank stays cycled? I have floss and ceramic rings from my canister filter in my display tank, a plant from the display tank, heater, air stone, and some fish food flakes. I also just put some snails in today.
The tank has been set up for two weeks (had to take it apart after the last fish delivery went bad) and I haven't done any water changes. Do I need to do a water change?

There should not be any issues here, from what you have indicated. Once they are established, nitrifying bacteria do not suddenly die off for lack of ammonia. The plant is actually your best helpmate; they take up ammonia rapidly, the faster growing plants (like floating) particularly. I would do a major water change though, this is not going to have any impact on bacteria but fresh water will benefit the fish.

You've got it going on. Byrons right, add plants! I keep plants in my Quarantine tank. In fact, my quarantine tank is actually my Plant grow-out tank. It's often filled with plants and almond leaves. I grow them first in there before I plant them in my bigger tanks. I have floating plants and stem plants. They all add to oxygenating the water and cleaning it also. I have good filtration and Co2 added. The Almond leaves are a good addition for ailing fish in case I need an emergency ward. At the moment it's an incubator for newly born Guppy's. A 20 gal. Grow-out, pregnancy ward, incubator, hospital emergency ward, catch all!
I have almond leaves. Should I add one?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back