how to keep covict cichlids

convict cichlid

Reaction score
I have a 55 gallon tank that has been set up for 1and1/2 months. It has had
3 corydoras in it fir most of the time. Then I went out the other day and bought 4 convict cichlids that were about 1/2 inch long and 3 of them died the next day. I took them back to the fish store and they checked my water and said that everything was fine except for my amona is a a little high. He gave me three new ones and this morning they were all died as well as the forth one from the day before. I was wondering if any one knew what was happining to them. ALL HELP WOULD BE HELPFUL.

Please tell me what is wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey there,
convicts get stressed very easily. When I first bought my cichlids, I had a 30 gallon tank, where i attempted to put 3 convicts and 1 texascichlid. Everyone except my one convict died within a few days.

I would expect that adding all of them at once is what brought your amonia up. For real success take care of the amonia with frequent water changes, when that is under control and back to zero, get yourself one convict. They do alot better by themselves when in a community tank, and also try to get a female, IMO they are hardier than the males.

hmmmm. hard to say whats wrong with you. not very much details. You said amonia was a little high? how high? Convicts is normally pretty hardies. but they NEED some things to not die. Maybe not the answer to why your fishes died (since they died so quickly)

They NEED hiding spots. This is very important. If they dont have they may (very often will) get stressed and then go sick and die.

They allso need some green food. but if you have som plants they could eat that covers it.

and one more thing. this fish should not be in a communitytank. it is very agressive.

and one more thing. this fish should not be in a communitytank. it is very agressive

I have to disagree with this one. I have my convey in a comunity tank and she gets along great with everyone, including my little tetra. This is why i suggested getting only one and preferably a female.

the cons at ur lfs must be sick. buy from a diff one. cons are one of the toughest damn cichlids there are, trust me. i have gotten my cons to breed outside during winter and their fry survived too. proteque is right they need territories or theyll fight over space. cons are cave dwellers and thats probably your best bet.

Thanks you guys for trying to help me. If any one else or if you guys have any more help I would appreciate it.

Next time, take a good look at the Convicts your lfs are offering. Are they active? Are their colors dark and vibrant? Are their fins intact? Oftentimes you'll get intense overcrowding in petstores and their fish will be stressed and prone to disease, unless you're lucky enough to find a lfs that really cares. The rapid and multiple deaths are quite astonishing, and I wholeheartedly agree with Ex-Amp. Cons are tough s.o.bs, especially when they have fry they are defending. My cons regularly attack my hand as I clean out the tank or feed their fry, quite amusing!

EX-AmP said:
the cons at ur lfs must be sick. buy from a diff one. cons are one of the toughest damn cichlids there are, trust me. i have gotten my cons to breed outside during winter and their fry survived too. proteque is right they need territories or theyll fight over space. cons are cave dwellers and thats probably your best bet.
I tihnk thats the best answer out of all of them. Go to a different LFS.

Thank you guys I got my amonia to almost zero and I got a convict from a different pet store and it has been doing well for three days now :D

thanks for the advice :cool:

Fish don't read the books so very few don't follow wot the books say, but on the whole convicts are agressive.!! ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back