What's new

How to introduce new platy

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

sanasana

Reaction score
So I got a new mickey mouse platy and I want to add it to my redwag platy aquarium.
> That's all right, yes? They are platy after all, so the type shouldn't matter yeah?
I had to get one in an emergency for an event, so I bought it from a nearby store. The living conditions of the fish there were dreadful. So I didn't add it to the aquarium yet and quarantined it. I treated the water with anti-chlorine and methylene blue.
> Should I treat the water with Malachite green? I didn't see any white spots though or any other illness. Is it recommended that I treat it with Malachite green just to be on the safe side?
> A fish shop-keeper told to treat the aquarium water with methylene blue every week. Is that recommended?

Thank you in advance!

Different coloured platies sold at pet shops are generally all the same species of fish and will normally get along. If you have a dominant male in the tank and introduce another male, they might fight and the weaker one will be bullied, the same can happen with females but generally it is fine to add more platies to the tank.

------------------------
If you are going to quarantine a new fish, put it in a tank with an established filter and monitor it over the next 4 weeks. Do not add chemicals or medications unless the fish has a disease.

Malachite Green is carcinogenic (causes cancer) so should only be used if there is a protozoan infection that can't be treated in other ways.

Methylene Blue kills beneficial filter bacteria so should not be used in the main tank because it can harm the biological filter.

Thank you so much for this! Did not know that about the two medications.

Most reactions

trending

Back