How to decorate a tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cali

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am in the process of buying decorations for my 20H tank. It will house 2 beautiful (if I do say so, myself) koi angelfish. One standard tail and one veil tail.

I have only set up one tank in my whole life (a standard 10 gallon) and I'm not sure I made the best choices as far as decorating. So, I enlist your help in decorating my 20H.

How do you make a tank aesthetically pleasing? I think I want high plants (silk plants, not any real plants) that go all the way to the top of the tank. What do you think? Currently, I have some smaller sized plants in my 10 gallon and it looks kinda funny to me. Should I put tall plants in the front of the tank? I'd like the aquarium to look kinda full... I don't know, guys. Help me out...

Is it possible I'm being to technical about the whole thing? :dunno:

Hey there!

Tall plants are great for angels as they do stick to the top and will enjoy swimming through and behind the plants.Now if it was my tank I wouldnt put them at the front I would put them more to the back leaving enough space that they can swim behind them and possibly have some little hiding spots then put maybe some smaller plants in the front this way the front will be a place that they can swim back and forth without anything in the way.This way you will be able to have a nice view of your tank and its contents where as if you put the tall ones in front they are kinda in the way.Just play around with it youll find something that works.I rearrange my tnaks often and try new things thats how you get good at decorating ;)

angel lover, that is very helpful info. I thank you very much.

...all input and help is appreciated. Any more? I'm greedy for advice. :p

get a a few pics of tanks u like of the net or out of a book and use them as a guide

Angelfish actually prefer dense, tall vegetation, so you could put tall plants everywhere. :D

Word of advice, don't place the plants into the tank so that they are symmetrical. They're never like that in nature and professional aquarists prefer a more natural-looking tank. If you're going for that look as well, you might also want to try amazon swords if you ever decide to keep live plants. Also, don't put fake-looking decorations in, because they are definitely not aesthetically pleasing. :D

tempestuousfury said:
Angelfish actually prefer dense, tall vegetation, so you could put tall plants everywhere. :D

Word of advice, don't place the plants into the tank so that they are symmetrical. They're never like that in nature and professional aquarists prefer a more natural-looking tank. If you're going for that look as well, you might also want to try amazon swords if you ever decide to keep live plants. Also, don't put fake-looking decorations in, because they are definitely not aesthetically pleasing. :D
thank, temp.... :D :p

Great advise. I'm taking notes. :)

I like TONS of plants - all different heights. Some are kind of red, which is good for a little bit of color, but still natural. Buy groups of small plants and you can smush them all together.

I bought SO many plants that the LFS said I had WAY too many - alas, they are all in the tank!

Plants, plants, plants!

real plants woul look nice they got good avantages for two angels since they like pecking for foo try anacharis it grows tall in short time with 3 or 2 amazons some java moss and jave fern and a SCOOL OF CORYS :eek: damn thatnk u im going to have to get nother tank but 4 real a school of corys some loaches CLOWNS a bristlenose plec for algea look at that now that would be nice and maybe a school of CTs

ohh yeah the bad side of plastic and silk plants

1.silk plants look colorful but will loose there color in some months
2.plastic plants get very dirty with algea and if not remove quickly it will stick
3.plastic plants may rash ur angels or may hurt the tails (guilty here)

Advantages on real plants
1.angels dont get hurt with real plants my angels love gliding tru them
2. they grow quickly depends what kind (anacharis is good)
3. once they grow u could trim and make a new bunch
4. it makes ur angels act more natural like lay eggs (mine did on a amazon leaf)
5. it gives ur tank a green coloration that looks BEATIFUL

Thanks so much, all!!

...I'm afraid of live plants, though. They require special care, don't they? I'd hate to do something wrong and then pollute my tank or something. I'm still a beginner and I would like to avoid any potential problems. :D

I'm still open, though, I haven't decided. So many good ideas to consider.

they dont require special care thats what i though just give them light and water a few co2 injctions and they will grow beatifully co2 injector noe neccesary

I'd LOOOOOOOVE for them to mate. I'm pretty sure I've got a male and a female, but I can't be positive. The one I think is male has that "bump" on his head while the "female" doesn't.

...I have no idea if they'll pair up even if they are male and female. Could I be that fortunate? :D :p

Hey Cali :)

Real plants to not take much work at all.Actually maybe a little less because you dont have to vaccum as much.You just need to get the proper lighting is all.My angel tank is all real plants and they love it they hide in the plants and swim through them all the time.Go for real if you can I think angels much prefer real plants :nod:

PM me if you wanna see my 55 gallon :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back