How To Clean Ramshorn Snail And Elodea? Bleach, Hydrogen Peroxide, Sal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PrincessKiara

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello! I was poking around the 'Web and came up with a few solutions for disinfecting my tank, but since I really don't want to kill my guppy fry, I will try them all.
Today I filled the tank with warm water and loads of table salt. Tomorrow, I'll drain and rinse it, then wipe it with vinegar and rinse again. Then I will spray it with 3% hydrogen peroxide, rinse out, and re-fill the tank with a solution of 1 part bleach to 19 parts water. I'll soak the Elodea (and the tank) in that for two minutes, then rinse out tank, plants and all. Then I will wipe off excess moisture and let it dry out for at least 3 hours before adding my babies.
My question: Even if rinsed properly, will that poison my fry? Will being soaked in the bleach solution kill my plants?
And just as importantly, how do I make sure the Ramshorn snail doesn't carry any microbes over from its previous tankmates (now dead) to my guppy fry? I really want to keep the cute little bug, but how can I clean him? If my baby guppies die, I will die with them :'( I already lost their parents to disease...
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Wow, why does the forum change it to Bother when I want to call my snail a cute little
bug_icon.gif
ger? LOL I always call my baby fish that <3

Do everything you have listed but, before you let the tank dry, fill the tank up with water and over dose the dechlorinater, give the tank a good swish, rinse the plants in it and give it a bit of a scrub. You can then empty it and let it dry :)

I wouldn't worry about the snail personally, I doubt it would bring anything harmful over unless it was affected itself.

Thanks! :D :D :D
I wanna move my babies in, like, NOW...I feel guilty leaving them in that tiny little jar :$

I'd be extremely careful on the eloda since it has very thin leaves. Some plants can be extremely sensitive to salt/bleach. And of course being dried out. I tried looking up specifics on the plant but it's nearly time for sleep so I'll let you use google on that one.

A little late :D I spent hours on Google, result: stiff, crackly, half dead Elodea. :$ I hope it can recover.
Thanks anyway y'all! :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back