How "sweetheart/dyed Parrots/fh Are Made"

i can't read the language either :no: , but it is very sad to see in the pics. :-( i thought die injections were horrible, but cutting off the tail to dye them. that's disgusting! :sick: i wish something could be done about this, but i'm afraid even if we speak up the trade of these fish will continue. i felt bad unknowingly buying injected dyed fish, i will never support this!!!

This trait actually is genetic. That's how sweetheart parrots began. Those who began tail cropping were copying this mutation, as it is easier to just crop the tails than to breed true genetically tailless fish. The same mutation has popped up in discus and angels.

I have a true tailless fish, her dorsal and anal fins meet in the back and actually overlap a little... her backside is very clean, it's obvious looking at her that she was born that way. A pet shop nearby gets ones with cropped tails though and the difference is clear, very sad :(

This trait actually is genetic. That's how sweetheart parrots began. Those who began tail cropping were copying this mutation, as it is easier to just crop the tails than to breed true genetically tailless fish. The same mutation has popped up in discus and angels.

I have a true tailless fish, her dorsal and anal fins meet in the back and actually overlap a little... her backside is very clean, it's obvious looking at her that she was born that way. A pet shop nearby gets ones with cropped tails though and the difference is clear, very sad :(

Any proof of this, I dont really buy it.

I don't think because fins meet behind where the tail would be makes it genetic.. I've got a fish thats fins meet at the back, and I know for a fact it's tail was eaten off by other fish.

I feel quite sick now :sick:
That is a morbid practice, and what do people get out of it? a stupid looking fish, who experienced unneccessary pain (I the last is controversal, but not as much as that act)

I'm lost for words, its going TOO far!

T, there isn't even any proof of exactly what species a bloodparrot is produced from, how would you expect me to produce reliable proof of that? All I can give you is hearsay, and show you a pic of my fish when she was 3", as well as pic of her brother... there's no way the tail area could have healed up so completely and not left a gap at that size. Breeders have to wait until the fry are a certain size before cropping to avoid unreasonable losses (like the size of the fish in the link.) Not a one of her 8 siblings at the shop had a gap or any scarring, and every single "sweetheart" fish I have seen after that has.This article from Texas Parks and Wildlife suggests that they know of taillessness in fish being genetic or developmental (scroll down to the seatrout)
In fact, anglers and biologists were truly surprised by another tailless fish brought in one day. It is actually a spotted seatrout (Cynoscion nebulosus) that displays a genetic mutation or developmental anomaly producing taillessness. Somehow this one survived to adulthood and may have even spawned.

This article says
...and butterfly discus, which are bred not to have tails (this makes it very difficult for them to swim).

If they can be bred to be tailless, it is genetic. All I'm saying is, everything I have ever heard about sweetheart/love heart parrots that came from a reasonably reliable source says it started as a genetic mutation and then breeders got greedy... which makes sense, because think about it... who would randomly say to themselves, "HEY! I bet they'd sell better if we cut their tails off!" when there was nothing like that already on the market.

Also, here is a pretty common genetic deformity in angelfish, called "notching"... just as evidence that this sort of thing does happen. There are even humans born with no lower torso.
http://www.theangelfishsociety.org/article..._norton(18).htm

Crud, Photobucket is down right now but I'll post my fish later... think of it like manx cats ;)

That notched angelfish site was WEEEIIIIRD.. bunch of freaks happening there..

Unfortunately my heart shaped bp died last night, so I've only got pics of a unicorn parrot, that I'm assuming had its tail cut off, and the notch to make the unicorn effect, and my convict with no tail..

I'll post some pics and see if any comparisins can be made, as I know the convicts tail was eaten off, and I believe the parrots tail wasn't.

Good idea vancouver, I'd like to see what your fish look like :nod:
I'd be willing to admit I'm wrong if someone could prove it, but it just seems far-fetched for this not to have started as a mutation when the same mutation exists in discus and apparently angelfish (someone on this forum used to have a tailless angel)

Anyway, Photobucket's up again, so here's my cutie :wub:
Yes, she was also dyed as a juvie, but the shop she came from is totally against dyeing and only got these fish in because the order form said nothing about them being dyed. They wouldn't be reordered, so I figured it was ok to get one ^_^
DSCN5498.jpg

This is her brother I had for a couple of days... sadly he was too aggressive and tormented her constantly, so he had to go back to the shop. He was gorgeous
DSCN5424.jpg

Here's Marie a few months ago
DSCN0089.jpg

And now (pardon, I really need to scrape the algae off the back wall :blush:)
DSCN2123.jpg

Closeup of her bum... not the greatest pic, but you can see how the fins meet at the base, and hopefully how there's no abnormality in the formation of her scales back there. She's camera shy and always goes to the back when she sees the flash :rolleyes:
DSCN2134.jpg

Interesting.. I can see why you'd think it wasn't cut.. the dorsal and anal fins of my convict meet at the tips only, not from the butt all the way to the tips (if that makes sense)..

The red coloring on the body and tail seem to be telling me something.. but I cant seem to put it into words properly lol... it doesn't look like any red was ''cut out'' I guess it what I'm trying to say.

Most reactions

Back