How Much Ammonia And Nitrites Are Bad For Fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

smeyers2

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone !

I am currently cycling with fish. Tonight is the end of day number 3, and I am beginning to get Ammonia. It is reading .25 ppm. At what ppm does Ammonia start to be bad for the fish. At what level do I start with water changes to lower it ???

Also same question for Nitrites.

I'm using a Fancy Goldfish to cycle my tank. The fish store said to use them as they are very hardy. Tonight while doing research one poster had wrote Goldfish are not good for cycling as they will get sick. So I'm wondering about that too.

If I use Seachem's Prime how will I accurately measure the ammonia ? 

Sorry for all the questions....

Take Care All !

May I ask why you're cycling with fish? It's not good for any fish to go through it. What's your pH?

I'd personally take the goldfish back and cycle the tank following THIS article.

Cycling a tank with goldies is a very bad idea as well, they poop ALOT, so ammonia would sky rocket easily with this fish.

pH is 7.0...
I read that article a few days ago... had trouble finding ammonia with no additives.. got some from Ace Hardware (mentioned in another post) but didn't feel safe using it as it really didn't list any ingredients....  It said there was 15% of something which I forgot. I can go look tomorrow and report back...   if I do a fishless cycle do I start over or continue from here ?  

Thanks all !

The one from Ace Hardware should be fine. I think it's 15% ammonia? Good to check again, I'll check mine later (we bought 2 gallons not realizing how little we'd need!) :lol:

I'd take the goldfish back then do a big water change and make sure the levels are at 0 then start following that article :)

If you have a friend with a tank taking a small bit of their filter media would speed up the process for you.

If the label is unclear, shake the bottle. If it gets really bubbly at the top like soapy water, then you know the ammonia contains surfactants. If you dip your fingers in it, the liquid should feel like water. If it is thicker, oilier, slimier, etc., then it has surfactants.

Ace sells ammonia with no surfactants, but it it always good to double-check in case your area has a weird law like mine does.

sawickib said:
Anything above 0 is bad for fish
You better stop keeping fish then. ;)

How do you think the ammonia processing bacteria get food if there is no ammonia to consume?

• Thank You All For Your Help And Comments ! Have A Good One ! 
    yes.gif

Most reactions

Back