How Many Tetra... 14 Litre Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Regarding the tetra you currently have, you'd be best off rehoming it. If you don't know anybody that can take it from you then return it to your local fish shop. Most shops will take and rehome any unwanted fish

Andy

How long is it since the other tetra died.
I would wait at least 6 weeks before rehoming it just incase it has ntd.

i say return the last neon to the LFS,strip and clean the tank and buy a betta. personally i wouldnt put ANYTHING else in a tank that small, its cruel to the fish

The 1" per gallon rule is just a guideline,but another guideline is that fish need room to swim..for instance my leopard danio only grow to 2" each, but need a tank at least 2 feet long so they can get a good swim from one end to the other, in a 2 gallon tank a danio wont be able to dart around it will just sit there doing nothing being very unhappy..the same goes for a lot of species,this is why u need to research..

go for a suitable fish or give up the fish hobby..u asked for advice and u dont seem to want to listen to it..if u want the fish u say u want but cant have a suitable tank then dont get the fish u want until u can care for them

i say return the last neon to the LFS,strip and clean the tank and buy a betta. personally i wouldnt put ANYTHING else in a tank that small, its cruel to the fish

I don't understand peoples mentalities on here sometimes. You would put a 2-3" betta in a 15L, but not 6 1" fish?

There's lots that can live seemingly comfortably in a 15L, most aren't common, but things like celestial pearl danios, micro rasboras, cherry, rainbow crystal red (and loads more dwarf shrimp), various snails, a couple of dwarf frogs, even some crabs (Thai micro crabs that are available now). A betta is fine too.

There are loads more fish that I cant think of off the top of my head right now too.

Is it better to keep them in bigger tanks? Yes, but then as long as they aren't showing signs of stress and have room to swim around lots, why not?

Neons and other larger tetras are pushing it a bit too far IMO as they are about twice the size as the above micro fish, and just don't behave naturally not having as much relative space to swim.

thanks guys, i will take him back to the fish shop in a few weeks when i am sure he is healthy.

i am prepared to take advice, its just half the advice didnt solve my problem with the neon tetra i already had! everyone was just telling me i couldnt have tetras, not what to do with the one i have which just wasn't helpful!

people should read the *whole* question before posting answers :/

i will look into getting a betta when this tank is empty. just out of curiosity, why can a betta be kept in a small tank when it is much larger than neons? does it not like to swim about also?

Something to do with puddles.
I wouldn't even keep a betta in less than 5 gal myself.
I think under 5 gal tanks need banning.
The reason why as people always end up putting the wrong fish in them. Like for example goldifsh.

Something to do with puddles.
I wouldn't even keep a betta in less than 5 gal myself.
I think under 5 gal tanks need banning.
The reason why as people always end up putting the wrong fish in them. Like for example goldifsh.

i dont understand? whats to do with puddles?

I don't understand peoples mentalities on here sometimes. You would put a 2-3" betta in a 15L, but not 6 1" fish?

There's lots that can live seemingly comfortably in a 15L, most aren't common, but things like celestial pearl danios, micro rasboras, cherry, rainbow crystal red (and loads more dwarf shrimp), various snails, a couple of dwarf frogs, even some crabs (Thai micro crabs that are available now). A betta is fine too.

There are loads more fish that I cant think of off the top of my head right now too.

Is it better to keep them in bigger tanks? Yes, but then as long as they aren't showing signs of stress and have room to swim around lots, why not?

Neons and other larger tetras are pushing it a bit too far IMO as they are about twice the size as the above micro fish, and just don't behave naturally not having as much relative space to swim.

yep yep, the betta tetra thing confused me too... i think i will look into the micro rasboras and pearl danios :) i have 2 cherry shrimp, they are lovely little creatures :)

thanks, yes the beta thing didnt make sense to me, as they are quite big so i would imagine produce lots of ammonia!

i think i might look into the really small ones suggested before, pearl danios/ember tetra and micro rasboras

as i said,thats me personally, i dont know of any microfish that are happy in a tank thats only a few inches end to end, but u have named a few and educated me, also in my post u will see i said "research"

im not going to research what fish are ok in a tiny tank as i dont have a tiny tank and have no interest in keeping microfish in a microtank,but i do know that bettas are ok in small tanks,now i know that there are others..

Bettas/siamese fightingish are better suited to smaller tanks than larger ones, as they prefer as has been pointed out, swampy sort of areas to live, and CAN survive with little oxygen. but obviously more oxygen is much better. a small tank such as your, with plants and no sharp decor would be great for keeping a betta with a few shrimp/african dwarf frogs or snails.

A Betta splendens can easily be kept in a 14 litre tank or you can do as I do and house a Betta splendens in a 45 gallon tank with plenty of other fish. They are simply fish and need enough space for themselves. A single betta is only big enough to theoretically need about 2 gallons of water and even more so can tolerate even smaller tanks since they are anabantids with a slow moving approach to life. That last statement is in terms of their bioload. I do not care for housing my bettas in such small spaces but a volume of less than a gallon is common among the people who make a living selling top quality bettas. They would never endanger their livelihood using a container that would degrade quality in any way. As a slow moving fish, bettas do not need the swimming room of say a zebra danio, although they are larger than that danio. Actual activity levels determine more about swimming space needed than simple size does. Another determiner of tank size requirements is interaction between fish. Since Betta splendens is always housed alone, interactions among males is not really applicable. For females in a sorority, I go with about 2 gallons per fish. The idea that betta splendens is somehow agoraphobic is also completely false Joshua. A betta is right at home in my 45 gallon and they did fine in my 120 gallon before I put fish into it that were a threat to the betta. Now I have a wild type betta in that tank instead, it is a Betta pugnax, a forest betta, that I picked up at a club auction. I wish I could tell if it is a male or female but I am simply not that familiar with B pugnax. Maybe one day I will find a soul mate for it. Compared to a B splendens, it is enormous with a body length of almost 3 inches and is right at home with the small cichlids and tetras that I keep in that big tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back